2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

FAST (Files and Settings Transfer) (XP Pro SP1)

I need to move files from old computer (Windows 98 SE; no CD burner or USB port) to new computer (Windows XP Pro SP1).

The only serial port on the old computer is a mouse port, which doesn't seem to work for the serial file transfer under FAST.

I tried to test using a parallel cable (with Spearit Software's MoveIt) but that didn"t work either.

I'm almost resigned to floppies. My question is, does FAST compress the files, and by about how much? I have about 70 MB of documents and 65 MB of mail...don't really want to buy 100-plus floppies unless it's absolutely necessary.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: FAST (Files and Settings Transfer) (XP Pro SP1)

If you are confident about 'playing' with hardware, you can temporarily hook up your old disk drive in the new PC. Then just copy what you want to the new disk. Remove the old drive and you're finished.

joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not confident about playing with hardware...so I'd appreciate suggestions about using FAST vs. just zipping and copying files.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Have a look at How To Set Up a Direct Cable Connection Between Two Computers in Windows XP .
    Also, you can search the MS knowledge base for "howto file transfer wizard" with WinXP as the product for a lot more articles.
    Joe
    Joe