Star Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting Message (Access 2000)

I have a shared database (on the network) that is use by 3 people. Every 3 or 4 weeks, one of my reports does not work. When I try to run it, it shows the status bar reading "formatting page.... press ctrl break to stop". The query behind the report take less than a second. I have to go in a recreate the report. And... it does not happen on the same report every time. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Formatting Message (Access 2000)

Are you saying that the report formatting hangs and never completes? What happens if you do CTRL-BREAK? Also, what service pack are you at?
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This kind of problem (occurring only once in a while, not always the same report) is hard to diagnose and solve.

Compacting the database can help prevent problems.

You mention 'shared database'. In a multi-user situation, it is always advisable to use a split backend-frontend setup, with one backend database containing only the tables, and an individual copy of the frontend (containing all other database objects, plus links to the tables in the backend) for each user.

It is also recommended that all PCs are updated to the latest service pack for Office 2000 and for the Jet Engine.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes. The report formatting is just hanging. If I CTRL break, it stops, but it won't show me the preview. The only way I can get into the report is by design view. But obvisously, that does me no good. MS Access 2000 (9.0.4402 SR-1) is the service pack

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I suspect that Hans may have spotted the issue. If someone has a lock on a table for some reason, that could cause the report to hang. Also note that making changes in the design of objects in 2000 and up can cause problems. His recommendation of splitting the database is spot on - if you haven't yet, I strongly recommend it. In addition, you might want to look at putting the front-end on each user's workstation as that lets people make design changes, create temporary tables, and such without having conflicts. Finally, you might want to look at applying SP2 of Office 2000 - there is an SP3 as well, but it has some problematic security changes for those who want to automate the sending of emails.
    Wendell