2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network problems

I've had my network up and running for over two years, I had problems initially but was able to get everything to working. Last week, while at my partners office with my laptop we needed to share some large files and decided to try to get my laptop connected to his network. We weren't successful getting my machine connected to his network and now my laptop no longer works on my own network. Since it's been so long ago, I really have forgotten most of what I went through to get it working initially, so I'm looking for some help to get things back up and running quickly.

Here's the basic configuration:

two machines desktop (gateway), which is the main machine, and laptop (toshiba)
    linksys is wireless network name.
    both machines running windows xp home
    MSHOME is windows workgroup name
    both machines have guest account active
    only the machine i'm on shows up in the network neighborhood.

Desktop:
    Machine name is Gateway
    connected to the internet via cable modem
    usb printer connected and shared.
    able to access interent without problems.

Laptop:
    Machine name is Toshiba
    connected via linksys wireless card and router
    (wireless access point router with 4-port switch 2.4ghz 802.11b)
    unable to browse the internet, connect to mapped gateway machine drives, or print to shared printer

I'm assuming there's something in the network connections that I've changed unknowingly on the laptop, but I'm not sure. Any help would be most appreciated.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network problems

If i run ipconfig on the laptop, no ip address is listed. Based on this, I'm assuming I've done something to the network connection itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Desktop has ip address and is working fine.

Thanks...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Do an 'ipconfig /renew *' from a command prompt on the laptop. If your NIC is active, it should find an IP Address.
    Christopher Baldrey

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Still nothing? Anywhere I can find good troubleshooting documentation for xp?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you see a "good" wireless connection on the laptop?

Can you connect to the Wireless Access Point from the other system and see on its menus whether it is talking to the troublesome laptop?

What sort of Wireless Network security are you using. If you have a WEP key then it sometimes helps to delete the wireless network on the laptop, recreate it and put the key back in again.

StuartR