Star Lounger
    Thanks

Playing mp3 file throughout slide show (XP/sp2)

I want to send an email to users on the network. Email will include .pps attachment which is expected to run through several slides automatically with music playing from a single mp3 file. Mp3 file is located on network. I have 3 questions/problems: (1) I know path to mp3 file, but how do I tell Powerpoint where to find it? (2) I've tried inserting music from file, but it attached to the current slide and play only while that slide is showing (also, the slide will not advance until the music finishes). (3) Music is barely audible. How do I increase it? thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Playing mp3 file throughout slide show (XP/sp2)

1) I know path to mp3 file, but how do I tell Powerpoint where to find it?

Unless the path to the MP3 is the same from all systems, you would be better off converting the MP3 to a WAV file and embedding it in the presentation. Only WAVs can be embedded into PPT, and even then, only if you've specified a large enough setting in Tools/Options before you insert the WAV into the presentation. See Sound Advice at http://www.echosvoice.com/gotchas.htm for specifics.

If you want to keep the MP3 because of size issues, then put a copy of the MP3 in the same folder with your presentation, re-insert the MP3 into your presentation after copying it to the folder, then use the Pack and Go technique described above to resolve the links. (I recommend copying the MP3 to your presentation folder, because I don't know that Pack and Go will work if the MP3 is on a network drive. You can try it from there and see, though.) Finally, use WinZip to zip the PPT file and the MP3 from the unpacked Pack and Go folder. You can then set WinZip to unzip the PPT file and the MP3 and place them in the same folder on the recipients' systems.

(2) I've tried inserting music from file, but it attached to the current slide and play only while that slide is showing (also, the slide will not advance until the music finishes).

See http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00047.htm

(3) Music is barely audible. How do I increase it? thanks.

You'll need to increase the volume in a sound editor. Cool Edit, Gold Wave, and Sound Forge are all good ones.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for info, this was helpful. I also ran into another method: (1) drag music icon off slide, (2) right-click and select Custom Animation, (3) select mp3 file and drop-down arrow, (4) select Effect Options, (5) Stop playing after __ slides. By entering number of final slide, music played throughout Powerpoint show.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I believe that's pretty much the method described on the FAQ. I would suggest that you enter 999 in the "stop playing after XXX slides," though, as PPT counts each transition as a slide in this case. So if your user goes backwards during the presentation, your sound may end before the show is finished.

Dragging the sound file off the edge of the slide is a good way to make it not show during the presentation.