Star Lounger
    Thanks

Intermittent shut down (SR1)

I intermittently, but all too often, get a Windows shutdown to a blue screen saying that Windows has recovered from a serious error. Restarts when powered up, but then may recur almost immediately, or not for a long time. 2.4G, 80-g hard drive. Ran McAfee last night, OK.

Help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Intermittent shut down (SR1)

We need to get more information about the error. Right click My Computer then select Properties. Click on the Advanced tab. In the 'Startup and Recovery' section press the 'Settings' button. In the System Failure section make sure that 'Automatically restart' is NOT checked. Then when you get a stop record everything about the error type and moduls and post back.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I'll check it at noon or this weekend. Since the blue screen seems basically to have returned to DOS, I don't know if I can get a real screen capture, but I'll conjure up something.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It was already unchecked. For good measure, I unchecked the other two boxes under that item. I will repost if and when the blue screen comes back.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It happened again, and I captured the screen message: sort of. Guy at Microsoft must be paid by the word. Anyhow, I've condensed it (except for the error code, that's what appeared)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Whoops, that may not be readable. I'll enclose it this time Problem detected, Windows shut down to keep from damaging your computer.

First time, restart. Next time, check for adequate disk space (I have about 60g spare). Update drivers, if necessary. Check for BIOS upgrades (haven

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, this is hsmith4234. Still happens occasionally. Also keep getting notices some program or the other encountered serious problem and must close. Send to Microsoft or don't send. I don't. Computer vendor (my stepson) thinks its a Sasser worm. I have Mcafee installed and up-to-date, and it has found nothing. He sent a snippet to fix Sasser, but it couldn't find anything. Thinking about loading Norton, although I have never liked it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Joe. OK I will send info to MS. I usually think that I could yell out my back door in Texas for all the good that would do.

I have and use both ad-aware and Spybot. but only the free versions. Your link led to a page that nothing about my problem.

Administrator
    Thanks

Sorry. Try this Win32 BSOD. Had an extra '/' before.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by joeperez on 10-Aug-04 10:20. To correct url in win32 BSOD)</P>You ought to send the error information to MS. If it is their problem they use it to prioritize error fixes. If it is not their problem they will forward the data to the thrid part vendor. If you've never liked Symantec don't install it. Have you tried Ad-Aware Se Personal and Spybot S&D? They should be run in addition to an A/V & firewall software. Here's a thread win32k BSOD in another forum that has lots of suggestions.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. That did it for the link. Not sure that it will solve the problem, but I'll try.