2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Open apps. with maximized window (Windows XP)

Hello,

When I open some of my applications (such as Word) or websites, the window is not maximized. Is there a way to make an app or window open maximized?

I went into Explorer, Folder Options, View and turned on "Remember each folder's view settings" but that hasn't helped. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open apps. with maximized window (Windows XP)

Hi Gene,

Right-click on the shortcut that you use to open the application and select "Properties". On the "Shortcut" tab you can specify maximized window in the "Run" option.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tony,

Thanks. I never noticed that and it solved my issue for applications, but not for shortcuts to URL's (there is no Shortcut tab). I'll live with that, however. Perhaps we can dig a little deeper...A user receives a word attachment and when he opens the attachment, the word document opens and only takes up 50% of his screen. I went to the originator of the email and her Word is opened maximized. Also, when I received the attachment, it opened maximized as well. I'm going to check his version of Word. I know it's XP, but I'm not sure which service pack.

Love that quote!!! I had to look it up (Babylon 5, eh?)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Most applications "remember" if they were maximized last time they were used. Internet Explorer is a notorious exception. Opening a document from a hyperlink also tends to ignore the maximized state of the application window.

Applications (including Internet Explorer) also remember the non-maximized window size, so what you can do is open an application, if necessary restore it to non-maximized, and drag the window edges so that the window fills the entire screen. Then quit the application. Whether the application is opened maximized or not, it will fill the screen.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Hans!,

I have noticed that drag technique and have used that as my work-around for a while. At least now I know that it isn't just me. I was hoping that perhaps there was a setting somewhere inside this behemoth called windows that would make all windows behave.

Have a great week-end!