3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lock ups - cause?

I realize this is a dumb question, but I'm trying to provide some clues to a third-party software vendor about problems I'm having with the computer locking up when I try to save a file. What I'm asking is -are there any "general, generic, common" reasons I can
    give them, or are there so many different reasons it's impossible to pinpoint?
    The computer is not overloaded (usually 80%free), not too slow (pent 11) and ran without problems for over two years......now,
    after a format, and even longer after that, it suddenly hit. Any clues will help, and thanks for past help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Lock ups - cause?

Clobbered temp files related to the file you are trying to save.

Note: it would help if you were state what program you are having this problem with, as some of us have experienced issues with some programs and may have seen this problem.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The name of the program is "myHouse", an architectural drawing program, where you do an orthographic drawing, then
    click on the 3D button and it presents the drawing in 3D. It's at this point, in the 3D screen where you can turn, raise, lower,
    the image, then copy whichever images you want to design for a webpage. At the point where I click on the save icon, or
    go to File/save, the computer locks up solid, and the only way I can get out of the screen is the reset button. No Ctrl/Alt/
    delete screen will come up at all. I tried completely re-drawing the first image I had problems with, but that wasn't the problem.
    Hope this helps? I will clean out the temp files, which I normally do each day, especially after getting on the internet. I also
    have cleaned out and killed all spyware on a regular basis. Today I did scandisk and defrag - didn't help either.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Some CAD type programs will make temp files within the default storage folder and NOT in the Windows temp folder. You need to check the default folder for these files, and they may be hidden.

You stated this started after a reformat and clean install of Windows. Did you update all of the drivers including the "display" driver?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I notice they have online support for this program. Might be worth posting the query there.

Alan