New Lounger
    Thanks

Document Scraps (.SHS) (Word 2002)

While perusing Walter Glenn's Word 2000 book (O'Reilly), I came across a discussion on page 133 (Tip #51) about the use of "document scraps" to organize standard text etc. which states that scraps are often easier to organize than AutoText Entries. To create a Scrap, you select the desired text and drag it to the desktop or a folder, which creates a file with a .SHS extension. To use the Scrap, you drag (or copy) it from the folder to the working document. It seems to work well, and it certainly does offer an easy way to organize boilerplate text and the like. But I don't see any mention of it in any other Word book or in any post here. It looks like something useful, so why the silence? Are there any drawbacks that one should be aware of?

Thanks

Re: Document Scraps (.SHS) (Word 2002)

I'm only familiar with .SHS ("shell scrap") files from a very different context: they are a type of content executed by the system, so they are considered dangerous e-mail attachments. I guess as long as you are cautious about whose scraps you access, there's no reason not to use them, but I don't have any person experience using them. It seems as easy, in most situations, to press Ctrl+N to create a new document and toss the text in there. Or, if the text is intended for frequent re-use, to use the AutoText feature.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I think you guys are talking about the same thing. I haven't used it much, because AutoText & AutoCorrect seem better for me. You can have an organize many AutoText entries & keep a list of AutoText names on a sheet of paper. I agree that sometimes they are difficult to remember if you have many.

It seems to me that it's easier to use AutoText. To use a scrap, you must have it either on your desktop (which can become crowded) or in a special folder that's easily accessed. You either have to open the folder, minimize apps to get to the desktop, or keep Word in a small enough window to see the desktop. I'd rather just type a short name & press F3.

As Jefferson mentioned, there is a vulnerability associated with scraps, but not those you create yourself. Microsoft invented the scrap object as a wrapper for OLE data. Launching a scrap invokes any program defined in the object's properties. The scrap object's icon is almost identical to the text document's icon. Windows Explorer hides the associated .shs extension even when it's configured to show all extensions, so an e-mail attachment named Report.txt.shs would be displayed as Report.txt. So the danger is that someone may open a malicious attachment, thinking it's a text file.

Here's how to show the extension so that the scrap object isn't dangerous. Launch REGEDIT and navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT ShellScrap. Find the value named NeverShowExt in the right-hand pane and delete it. Do the same for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTDocShortcut.

Think I got this tip from PC Magazine.
    Cheers,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

Don't know if you saw it, but Jefferson had a macro to dump AutoText entries into a Word table a few days ago. It's at post <post#=389355>post 389355</post#>. Andrew Savitkas had one too in the same thread.

So, rather than writing those names down on paper, just use either macro and dump them to a table. If one wanted to go the SHS way, it would seem better to just use the entries in the table and copy-paste from the table to the Word document. I think using AutoText as intended is still the best way to go but this gives you a list of what's there.

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Fred:
    Thanks for this. Yes, I saw the macros & downloaded one of them & will use it in the future. Of course, I never thought of asking for something like that before, so I have my list from years back. I didn't actually write all the entries down. I used the "Print What" in the print dialog to print the AutoText entries.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all for your responses, which were as usual very helpful. I note a clear Autotext bias!

The "organizing" problem I have with Autotext is that Word groups the entries by "the style of the paragraph in which the entry was originally created." (Bott & Leonhard, XP at 377) So in order to get the entries into the proper categories, you need to make sure to use some particular named style. This is a special annoyance where an Autotext entry has multiple styles and you need to get the right one "first" to control the category. (Why can't we simply assign a category of our choice? Based on this and on the simple-minded default Autotext entries that Word supplies out of the box, It seems that the designers of Word didn't devote much effort to this feature.)

And there are some Autotext quirks. One that bites me a lot is that when I insert an entry that is a table, it always "turns on" the table borders no matter what. Since this particular entry is a somewhat complex signature block structure, I never want to see the borders in print. Document scraps seem to behave better in this regard.

Tom Hawley
    New York

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Tom:
    I see what you mean. I rarely pick an Autotext entry from a menu; I just type the shortcut & press F3. That way, I'm not dependant on the style that the cursor is in. As far as tables go, if you remove all the borders from a table & then make it an autotext entry, it should come in without borders. You can also remove borders immediately by press Alt+Ctrl+U, when the cursor is inside the table.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

> if you remove all the borders from a table & then
    > make it an autotext entry, it should come in without borders.

For some reason, I seem to have trouble with that. Cntrl+Alt+U does indeed remove all lines, but also undoes the effect of two merged cells and changes the dimensions of two others in this particular table. So I end up going into Table Properties to do it.

Tom Hawley
    New York

Thanks

Ctrl+Alt+U runs an AutoFormat which "cleans up" the table. I didn't know about this and might find it handy in the future.

For you, though, perhaps a universal table border removal macro would better fit the bill?
    <pre>Sub TableClearBorders()
    ' Remove all borders from table containing the insertion point
    ' NOTE: does *not* remove paragraph borders
    With Selection.Tables(1)
    .Borders(wdBorderLeft).LineStyle = wdLineStyleNone
    .Borders(wdBorderRight).LineStyle = wdLineStyleNone
    .Borders(wdBorderTop).LineStyle = wdLineStyleNone
    .Borders(wdBorderBottom).LineStyle = wdLineStyleNone
    .Borders(wdBorderHorizontal).LineStyle = wdLineStyleNone
    .Borders(wdBorderVertical).LineStyle = wdLineStyleNone
    .Borders(wdBorderDiagonalDown).LineStyle = wdLineStyleNone
    .Borders(wdBorderDiagonalUp).LineStyle = wdLineStyleNone
    .Borders.Shadow = False
    End With
    End Sub</pre>

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am leaning toward using "scraps" for various boilerplate text, mainly because of the ability to organize them, and even though they are a bit more difficult to use than AutoText. The border problem doesn't exist there. But I do appreciate the code for border removal, and it has given me an idea for something related which I hadn't thought of before.

Thanks again to all who contributed to this discussion.

Tom Hawley
    New York