Star Lounger
    Thanks

Autofilter Oddities (Excel 97/SR-2)

When I run an autofilter in Excel 97/SR-2, I am finding that it doesn't identify all items that match the criteria of "contains R OR contains S" in that one of the items with R is not moved into the filtered list. Also, the cells that don't meet the criteria still show, although the matching cells (except the one that isn't included) are moved to the top of the list. Any ideas as to why this is happening and how to fix it? The spreadsheet has less than 1000 rows (938, in fact).

Also, I have 55 columns on which I want to run the same filter criteria. I want to print the filtered data for the column (plus row and column headings) for each column, than move to the next column and the same thing. Any idea as to how I can accomplish this simply?

Thanks,
    Caroline

Thanks

Re: Autofilter Oddities (Excel 97/SR-2)

I am not sure I understand. What do you mean by "running an autofilter"

If you put on autofilter and select contains R or Contains S only the rows that contain an R or an S should visible the rest will be not visible. Nothing is "moved"

Just a guess here: Do you have blank rows within your data and is excel not seeing the entire data list so the bottom rows are not "hidden"? If that is the issue, then remove the autofilter, select the entire range you want as part of your data set, then put on the autofilter.

If you only have one cell selected when you add the autofilter, excel will use the "current region" which is bounded by blank rows and/or blank columns, so a region beyond blank rows/columns will not be part of the autofilter

Steve

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Autofilter Oddities (Excel 97/SR-2)

You were right, there were blank lines in the data. I deleted those and now the autofilter works OK.

Thanks,
    Caroline