Star Lounger
    Thanks

Memory problem? (Word 2000 - Win 2k)

I'm not really sure if this is a problem with Word or something else.

I have a user who every now and then gets the following message up on screen "Warning: you are working without a Word work file, and memory is nearly full. Save your work."

Then when you try to save your work, (click on save), it looks like its saving, but it isn't and you have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to get out of Word and the work is lost.

I have looked this up on MSKB, but its pretty vague.

Anyone had this problem before?

Cheers,

Emily

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Memory problem? (Word 2000 - Win 2k)

Working with an extremely large document on a PC with limited memory would be one possible cause. If that is not the case, try the following on the user's PC:

- Close all applications and delete all files from the Temp folder. This folder may be inside a hidden folder, so make sure that Windows Explorer shows hidden files and folders.
    - If that doesn't help, search for temporary files elsewhere and delete them. Use the Windows Search feature to search for *.tmp, ~*.do?, and ~*.wbk.
    - If that doesn't help either, delete the Data key for Word in the Registry; Word will rebuild it automatically.

See Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (Word 97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (Word 97/2000)<!/post> for details and instructions.

Thanks

Although this article is for Word 97, it points to RAM and disk space as issues. In particular, why wouldn't Word have a "work file"? The only reason I can think of is insufficient disk space. The main goal is to make space to save before trying again, or the user probably will lose everything in memory. At least double the previous file size would be good, although additional space might be needed.

WD97: Errors Opening File If Low Memory or Low Disk Space

Anyway, hardware upgrades are almost always a boost to productivity and morale (except for that part about moving all your programs and data...).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did just delete all the *.tmp, ~*.do?, and ~*.wbk files and this seems to have cracked it.
    Thanks for your help Hans (again!!!)

Emily