Thread: Tanking up

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Tanking up

An operator knows that he can fill a tank, using the small hose, in 45 minutes. Using the large hose takes 30 minutes. How long will it take to fill the tank using both hoses at the same time?

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tanking up

<span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><font color=yellow>18 minutes (1/45 + 1/30 = 1/18)</font color=yellow></span hi>

Thanks

answer without thinking is <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><font color=yellow> 75 minutes </font color=yellow></span hi>. Answer with thinking is <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><font color=yellow> 18 minutes </font color=yellow></span hi>
    (Location Australia, then UK, but now USA. Heart, outlook, attitude, etc always Australian)
    Quote: "All Happiness is the release of internal pressure"

Thanks

The other common answer with a little thinking is to just average them (30 + 45)/2 = 37.5 min.

Steve

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by skitterbug on 20-Jul-04 15:59. Added to the post! )</P>Wait a minute! <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><font color=yellow> How big is the tank? Or is that something everyone is suppose to know?? Showing my ignorance, maybe.....</font color=yellow></span hi>

Oh duh, I guess it doesn't matter how much it holds since we know it will be filled in such and such a time! Now I know why I flunked math!

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

Thanks

Oops - I forgot to mention that the tank (when full) holds twice half its maximum carrying capacity. Silly me.
    (Location Australia, then UK, but now USA. Heart, outlook, attitude, etc always Australian)
    Quote: "All Happiness is the release of internal pressure"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I did the calculation based on half twice its maximum carrying capacity... strange - same answer.

Alan

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><font color=yellow>It's not the size of the tank that matters, but the size of the connection supplying the hose. 18 minutes is the theoretical maximum. If the big hose already meets the maximum capacity of the 'supply', then the answer would be 30 minutes...because running both hoses wouldn't make the supply any faster.</font color=yellow></span hi>