Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't open large word doc (word 2003 std, win 2000 pro)

I have a word document size 22,796 kb (too big to attach)

Word 2003 will not open it.
    I get error: "word experienced an error trying to open the file" and then suggests permission, memory (768mb Ram on pc) or using text recovery.

Don't believe any of these are the problem as I can still open the same document in word 2000 without issue. The document is a training manual and so has a large number of jpg files embedded (hence the size). This also makes text recovery rather pointless. Other users running 2003 are also unable to open it.

I have tried the "open and repair" option but this did not work either.
    It was created in previous version(s?) of word

Any ideas gratefully received

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't open large word doc (word 2003 std, win 2000 pro)

Open the document in Word 2K and split into 2 or 3 or 4 documents. Open a fresh blank document in Word 2003 and see if you can reassemble your document, saving as you include each part, and consider compressing the pictures inside using Word if you don't have the luxury of re-doing them outside of Word.

Thanks

I think various people have reported that Word 2003 is less tolerant of corruption inside Word documents. This could be a sign that there is something amiss internally, so it seems smart to take the time to copy out the contents into one or more new documents now, before anything worse happens.

We also have had some discussions of using OpenOffice.org 1.1 (StarOffice 7.0) to open and re-save Word documents that Office 2003 (I think) doesn't like. There is some possibility of losing proprietary formatting, but the software does a good job with most Word documents. (Oh, make sure to use Save As!)

If you want to try OOo, you can download the Windows version at http://download.openoffice.org/index.html. When you install it, make sure to not let it take over all the MS Office file extensions.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help guys.

Looks like the previous author used bitmaps rather than jpg images (can you tell from inside word? can you convert inside word?)

I tried breaking into parts but was finding that no matter what size some parts would not open - indicating corruption?

Anyway I ended up recovering text and re inserting images. I have got the 22mb monster down to 1 mb so I think it was worth the effort.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Try clicking on one of the images and on the picture toolbar click the icon for formatting the picture and go to the picture tab on the formatting menu. One of the buttons down below is to compress either that one image or all in the document. You may be able to bring the document size even more.