Thanks

Open Folder (SP-1)

Why when I log in does my "Program FilesMicrosoft Office" folder start up opened on the desktop?

I can't find it in the startup group etc...

It's got to be, though, doesn't it?

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open Folder (SP-1)

Hi Chuck

This is typically due to a startup program not running properly, a likely cause being an incorrect registry entry.

Startup files can be in a number of locations as detailed in the complete list of startup locations. You can also use a freeware program called autoruns from sysinternals to list your startup entries. You specifically need to look for any entry that refers to the Micorsoft Office folder.

Another approach to try to track down the offending item is to run msconfig, disable a startup item and log in again, repeating till you locate the cause. If this fails to track down the cause then run regedit and check the following locations (these locations should be listed by the autoruns program above).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionRun
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionRun

Thanks

Run msconfig and see what is listed under Startup
    Check what is listed under Start > Programs > Startup
    Check <post#=375453>post 375453</post#>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There's another possible angle, folks. I haven't searched here for it yet, for I wanted to get this post in. Way, way back when, there was a MSKB article about spurious windows opening on boot. In my case, as in Chuck's, it WASN'T the System32 folder opening as pointed out in the MSKB, so their "fix" didn't help me. In my case, I went in to MSCONFIG and un-checked as many things as I could until I found that it was a McAfee file that was causing the spurious window to open. Research showed that the file wasn't needed, so I left it un-checked. Eventually ditched McAfee (as most here KNOW) so I've no idea what may be causing yours. It may take a little experimentation. Search here in XP, maybe for "spurious" or the like and see if you find it before I do.

[b]Edited: Check <!post=this thread,291627>this thread<!/post> where <!mskb=170086>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 170086<!/mskb> is mentioned (Thnx, Leif!)