Lounger
    Thanks

Exchange 2000 & Defragmentation

I have an Echange 2000 server that is pretty much 100% fragmented. I have run a defrag on it but it makes no difference whatsoever.

Any ideas on what can be one?

TIA

Lee

Thanks

Re: Exchange 2000 & Defragmentation

Various things need to be considered, including:
    How much free space is on the drive?
    Is Exchange running when you try to defrag?
    What defrag tool are you running (if not the native Windows tool)?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lee,

The Exchange store itself has it's own defrag utility which is run every night as part of normal maintenance. You can check the results by examing event 180 (i think). You can also shut down the Exchagne server and use an exchange maintenance utility to manually defrag the store (this is the only thing that will make the store file smaller). However, this is not something that's recomended unless you have a very good reason to do it.

If you meean the file system (with normal defrag utilities), I wouldn't want to do it. If your defrag tries to move around pieces of the exchange database or transaction log files while they are being used, it could be a big, big disaster.

I had a Nt4 Exchange 5.5 server running for 4+ years , and I never even thought of doing a defrag. Maybe the first thing to determine is whether you really need it done at all.

Jim

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

The drive that contains the Exchange DB and log files is 99% fragmented. I managed to run a Win2k defrag after stopping all of the Exchange services. It was successful and afterwards there was virtually no fragmentation. However after a couple of days the drive is now 99% fragmented again.

The Information store is 30gb and there is 108gb free space on the disk.

Any ideas why this would be?

Cheers

Lee

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Probably because the exchange database file isn't a simple file, but a complicated database system that does it's own writing,rearranging, and defragmenting. (Check your event logs for reports on what it does).
    Basically, you should leave it alone. Don't defragment your exchange volumes or files. It is not necessary. You won't help anything, and you could quite possibly destroy your exchange database in the process.