Star Lounger
    Thanks

Scheduling in Access (Access 2000)

I have a form (child form) that I want to be able to schedule a due date based on a constant that I give it. For example, if I want to complete the task weekly, I would say run it every Monday for the next 10 weeks. I know this is easy in Outlook, however, I need to be able to show that the task is completed and record statistics based on the task. This way I can also report an over due task and have a report that will give me a good idea of how on time the report is. Any ideas? I may need to explain more. Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Scheduling in Access (Access 2000)

If the database remains open all the time, you can set an On Timer event for a form (that form must stay open within the database, but it may be hidden if desired). The On Timer event fires every TimerInterval milliseconds, so if you set TimerInterval to 86,400 (seconds in a day) x 1000 = 86,400,000, it will fire once a day. If you set it to 7 x 86,400 x 1000 = 604,800,000, it will fire once a week.

Alternatively, you can check if a week has passed each time the database is opened (by writing code for the On Load event of the startup form of the database), or each time a specific form in the database is opened (in the On Load event of that form).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I guess I may be making this harder than it is. Here is the layout. This tracks the running of regularly scheduled SQL scripts. The frequency varies (i.e. weekly, monthly, quarterly).

Fields on the form are as follows: primary_id, foreign_key, date_due, date_run, num_records_returned, frequency.

If the frequency is weekly, I want to be able to put in a date_due of 7/26/04. The next record would show 8/2/04 regardless of when the report was run. I don't want the end user to change the due date, because that will defeat the purpose of tracking the overdues and how many reports are late.

Does that help?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you sure you always want to base the new due date on the most recently entered record? Perhaps you should create a form on which the user can enter a start date, a frequency and a duration or end date, with a command button that creates a series of new records based on the information entered.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I guess I want it to take the most recent frequency and add to the original date the number of days to determine the next due date. Would I use a dlookup method to determine the last frequency? Also, how many new records would the command button create?

If the due date is on Monday, as soon as they fill in the completed date, I want it to generate a new recored in the subform to say the next due date is next monday. If the report is completed on Tuesday it counts as being late, however, I don't want it to be due next Tuesday, it should be due next Monday still.