Star Lounger
    Thanks

msconfig won't run (Home)

Fellow loungers,
    I was just trying to open Norton Internet Security on my wife's PC this evening after a week away from home in order to update the virus definitions and nothing happened. I went to the Symantec site and downloaded their automated assistant which said that key process wasn't running upon start up. In order to make the change (which I can't remember and for good reason) I was instructed to open msconfig and make sure several items were checked, however I couldn't even open msconfig. Just as in Norton, I get the hourglass treatment from windows and then nothing. When I looked in system restore, I notice that the last restore points made by the system were a week ago when I installed the critical updates that Microsoft signalled to Windows users. On my PC, which came loaded with XP, everything is fine but my wife's PC which is an upgrade to XP Home from ME clearly is not handling the updates well. How do I get into msconfig to right things with Norton and are there other problems lurking behind this initial one?
    Many thanks in advance for any help

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: msconfig won't run (Home)

Sorry to clutter up the board -- a quick check with Symantec's virus search shows an infection with a recent variant of the Beagle virus. This goes to show that the first reflex after vacation is not to open one's e-mail but to update one's virus definitions. I'll head over to the security board to get some tips on making live update on this computer more efficient. It has never worked after an upgrade to the 2004 suite.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: msconfig won't run (Home)

Norton's has had two (2) releases today, one early this AM (PST) and just now done loaded one.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.