3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MSDE 2000 (Access 2003)

I need to develop a database which has a transaction log because that's what the client wants. At the moment, I'm exploring my options. Do I recommend SQL Server? Or does anyone know if SQL Server Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) has transaction log capability? Or should I stick with Access 2003 and create my own? Does anyone have any information re creating transaction logs in Access?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Nick

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MSDE 2000 (Access 2003)

Don't have much experience using MSDE, recommend check these links for more info:

MS SQL Server - MSDE 2000 Home

MSDE 2000 Technical Resources

MSDN - Microsoft Data Engine (MSDE) for Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0: An Alternative to Jet for Building Desktop and Shared Solutions

On last link listed, see Table 1, Database Requirements - according to table, SQL Server and MSDE support Transaction Logging, while MS Access (Jet) doesn't. In general MS recommends using MSDE rather than Jet if you think you may eventually upgrade to SQL Server. You could always try to program your own Transaction Logging functionality in an Access database (aka, reinvent the wheel) but it is not likely that anything you write yourself will be as efficient or reliable as the built-in functionality provided by MSDE or SQL Server. I have not attempted to do so myself. Recommend review the information provided by Microsoft - the sites listed above provide many more links for more detailed info re MSDE engine.

HTH

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I had seen the first two docs but it was the third which gave me the info I needed to make an informed decision.

Cheers
    Nick

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Although the MSDE comes for free with Access 2000+, if you go forward with the SQL Server back-end (we use if frequently), I would recommend getting the full package. The MSDE runs out of gas pretty quickly past 5 users (by design), and doesn't have many of the tools that make SQL Server easier to use. It costs a few dollars to buy, but your client will quickly save that amount in developer time and administrative effort.

For what it's worth, I would also recommend using ODBC linked tables rather than an ADP - especially if you are upsizing an existing application.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BTW you can download a 120 day trial of SQL Server for free.