3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows SBS 2003 or not?

I wasn't sure where to put this so I'm dropping it here. I know someone that works for a very small business that is looking at replacing their server. They currently have an NT 4.0 server. The hardware is so old that the server itself needs replacing. Looking at servers you also have to look at operating systems. I'm wondering if it makes any sense at all to go with Windows 2000 server or Windows Server 2003 instead of Windows SBS 2003 in this situation.

They have around 10-12 PC's that connect to their current NT server. That number will not be growing much over time. Four years ago they had about 8-10 PC's connected to it, so you can see that growth is not big for these guys. They are a small shop and will likely stay that way. It seems like SBS would work well for them. I don't know anything about SBS except what I have ready (which isn't much), but what I have read states that it is pretty simple to install and setup and the operating system is similar in appearance to Windows 2000 and 2003. What do you guys think? My understanding is that SBS can support up to 75 user's. These guys won't likely hit that mark... ever. One more question - does anyone know how many licenses come with SBS standard edition right off the top? Is it 5 or 10 or ? I was looking at a server or two from Dell and although the Windows 2000 and 2003 server OS's tell you how many licenses you get up front, the SBS doesn't say, although you can purchase additional licenses in packs of 5. Let me know what you know. Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Windows SBS 2003 or not?

I think SBS 2003 comes with 5 CALs. SBS 2003 has some greatly improved manangement wizards from what I've read. Even folks who normally would not look at a wizard should take a look at these. SBS can be a great tool for a small businees that does not have the time, resources, or need for multiple dedicated servers. There are some limits in the server applicatons. But for a shop the size you mentioned they probably won't come in to play. Be aware that having several applications such as ISA, Exchange, and SQL server on the same box violates what most people accept as security best practices. MS has a lot of ducmentation available at Windows Small Business Server 2003.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joeperez, thanks for the reply. I have read about how good SBS 2003 is now, especially the wizards, which is one reason I thought it might be a good fit. They won't actually be running SQL, Exchange or ISA (does SBS come with this?) on the server. It will only be used for file sharing, printing and a few applications like Peachtree Accounting.

Administrator
    Thanks

Here's a quote from Frequently Asked Questions About Windows Small Business Server 2003 about the two flavors of SBS 2003

The standard edition of Windows Small Business Server 2003 includes Windows Server
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Your last question is a good one, Joe. I figured it would be less expensive than Server 2003. If not than I see your point. I'll check into that. Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies and info, guys. I've decided to offer them Windows Server 2003 instead of SBS 2003 (they have no need for Exchange or SQL) and also a RAID 1 configuration. Although RAID 5 would be better (and RAID 10 even better) it's just not in their budget. You guys have been great. Thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks

You're quite welcome. Best of luck.

Joe
    Joe