2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Format of Autotext entries (WXP Off2003)

Is there a way i can tell Word that autotext entries ought match the formatting style in the current document? It seems to stick to whichever format was present when it was created. This creates extra work when switching between email and documents, or documents using different fonts.

TIA,
    Michael

Thanks

Re: Format of Autotext entries (WXP Off2003)

From what I can tell, Word remembers the name of the style and any "direct formatting" that was applied to the AutoText when it was stored. When inserted into a paragraph of another style, the AutoText entry typically blends in, except that direct formatting survives (e.g., font color). If the AutoText entry includes its own paragraph mark, then naturally it doesn't take up the characteristics of the paragraph into which it is inserted, but the text should reflect the style definition of the current document.

So... what kind of AutoText entries do you have that don't play by the rules??

Word can insert an AutoText entry as rich text or plain text only. I believe the UI doesn't show this option, but it exists in the object model and could be implemented in VBA if you wanted to override the normal behavior.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, for instance, I just went into a new document. My first instance using autotext, yielded my name in Times Roman, black. The next item yielded a sign off, "Best, Michael" in Arial black, and a third, another sign off, came up in Arial, blue. In each case, that is how the format existed when the autotext was recorded. Since many are created in email, some also come up in Courier.

Thanks,
    Michael

Thanks

Well, first, I must confess that I can't speak to any strangeness specific to Word 2003.

If the reason for these different fonts was due to direct formatting, in other words, the Normal style was Times New Roman 10pt, and the user applied Arial 12pt directly without redefining the style, this direct formatting will persist when the text is inserted as AutoText. I don't have any solution for that other than re-creating the entries or creating some kind of macro that inserts the AutoText as plain text.
    <pre>Sub InsertAutoTextAsText()
    With Dialogs(wdDialogEditAutoText)
    If .Display = 1 Then 'user clicked Insert
    .InsertAsText = 1
    .Execute
    End If
    End With
    End Sub</pre>

Hope this helps.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Michael:
    I would re-record my autotext entries WITHOUT any direct formatting & without including the paragraph mark. Select the text to be turned into an autotext entry, press Ctrl+Spacebar to remove any direct formatting, & then create your entry. Your autotext should then match the style at the insertion point from then on.
    Cheers,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That seems to be the answer, Phil.

Thanks,
    Michael