New Lounger
    Thanks

How to find version of word that created document (97/2000/2003)

I having some fun with one of our vendors sending us a mixture of wor documents created in Word 97, 2000, and 2003. Some of them open fine, some of them don't.

Is there any tool out there that can look at a word document and tell me what version of word is was created with?

Thanks!

Larry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to find version of word that created document (97/2000/2003)

There was a discussion about this in February, starting at <post#=344980>post 344980</post#>. The conclusion, more or less, was that there is no really dependable way to determine this; Klaus Linke's suggestion in <post#=345472>post 345472</post#> is probably as near as you can get.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

There is no way to tell as the document may have been edited with more than one version.

The version of Word in which you are editing the document has the responsibility of interpreting the content of the Word file.
    If the document was only edited in the same, or lower versions, as the currently running Word, then, except for Word bugs, you should be OK, and there's nothing one can really do about any such Word bugs.

If the document had been edited by a later version, then you can indeed get in trouble, but, again, there's nothing you can do about it once you do any edits.

You might be able to learn the last version that was used to edit, but that may only mask the fact that later versions might have been used at some stage of editing.

Uncle!

Thanks

Re: How to find version of word that created docum

I still suspect that Word stores this information somewhere, but one might need the binary file format information. (I asked Microsoft to send this to me but they never responded.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. After googling on the web and usenet, and searching Microsoft's site, I was afraid that was the answer I was going to find. One tiny bite in the file header would have been so very nice...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by Phil Rabichow to make the link clickable - see Help #19
    See my response in the thread for <post#=345472>post 345472</post#>.