Thanks

Adding new PC to network

At last I have been able to afford a new WIndows XP PC and I am having trouble adding it to my home network. At present we have my wife's WIndows XP laptop and my WIndows 98 desktop. We connect to the internet via cable broadband through a router that also acts as our network hub. We are happily networked on a workgroup called (of course) MSHOME. So far so good. I have now come along with my new Windows XP desktop machine. I plug its network card into the router and I am connected to the internet. I have given the computer a name IAN-STUDY, made sure the workgroup name is MSHOME. I have run the Network Setup Wizard.

When I run the network setup wizard, I choose 'This computer connects to the internet through another computer on my network or through a residential gateway'. The next screen tells me 'your computer has multiple connections' and offers the choice of letting the wizard determine the appropriate connections or let me choose.
    If I let it choose for me, it wants to bridge the connections. The connections it shows are Local Area Connection and 1394 Connection. If I let it go ahead with this it creates a bridge (I'm not sure what that means, actually!). Then the internet connection doesn't work any more! If I remove the bridge, it does work again. I have tried selecting the connections myself, and chosen Local Area Network, but that doesn't help either.

The other two computers show the new one in the network, but if you try to view it from them it says IAN-STUDY is not accessible. I have enabled sharing of the new computer's C drive. I have made sure that the Windows XP firewall is turned off. Restarting the PC does not help.

What have I missed?

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Adding new PC to network

Have you enabled file and print sharing on the new PC, and actually shared a folder?
    Can the new PC browse to itself and see the shared folder?
    Can all the computers successfully PING each other? (Start > Run > CMD, then PING computername)

StuartR

Thanks

Stuart - thanks for the suggestions. I have now found out what the problem was. The NVIDIA network card seems to come with a firewall installed that I didn't know was there called NVIDIA Network Access Manager. When I found that and configured it to allow access from the local network, all was well.

I am now wondering whether to uninstall it and replace it with the Sygate Personal Firewall I am accustomed to using.

Ian

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>I am now wondering whether to uninstall it and replace it with the Sygate Personal Firewall I am accustomed to using<hr>
    Well, I know what *I* would do!
    -Mark

Thanks

If I remember right, Mark, it was on your advice that I started using the Sygate Personal Firewall on the old PC in the first place.

Ian