3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE page colors (6 sp1)

Windows XP Pro SP1, with IE 6 sp1... when I log in on the machine my profile is normal and certain internet pages display as normal. Client logs in on this same machine and their colors for a few of the web sites seem to display differently. One feature is some text displays but portions of the same page display as if they were white text on white background.

I changed the use hover color and we see the text as it is changed to red.

If this is caused by an accidental change, does anyone know where such profile specific info would be stored in the registry? I'd like to get the browser back to default conditions if in fact this is what has happened.

Thanks,
    Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE page colors (6 sp1)

I'm not sure where they are in the registry, but you can edit these things from Tools/Internet Options/& then colors, fonts, & accessibility. It may also depend somewhat on your selection in Windows (Desktop/Properties/Appearance tab). But if you want the default, why not just delete the profile & start over?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'd like to avoid having to install the client's SMS advertised programs, etc. Is there a way to have a new XP profile created that inherits applications or is this an all or nothing scenario? I have renamed the documents and settings folders from time to time for other issues and then copied the data files into the newly created profile.

Monday I will have the user change the colors and also check what, if any, customizations have been made in the display properties, appearance.

Thanks,
    David

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Two things come to mind:<UL><LI>Default Settings for any profile are controlled by the contents of the Documents and SettingsDefault User folders. As Administrator, you can specify these by setting up your own desired User Profile and then using that to overwrite the contents of the Default User folders. To keep this tidy, it is best to do this on a new installation.<LI>Certain overriding choices regarding web display exist under Control Panel|General|Accessibility (bottom right). AFAIK this is a per User setting - so this may not be at all relevant.[/list]HTH
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The default settings are fine. It is just this one user who has strange display within IE. I am going to work with her to see if any of the above mentioned display settings are off and / or deselect "use windows colors".

If necessary, I will rename her documents and settings folder, have her log in to create a new profile and then copy her data files, Outlook profile, etc. into the newly created profile AFTER confirming that IE displays as desired.

Thanks.
    David

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

It's beginning to sound as if she may have some Browser Helper Object that has not been successfully removed. (This could extend beyond simple profile attributes.) Various of the secuirty programs - including Spybot - list all BHOs present. Using one of these programs may help you with identifying the source of the "funnies". HTH
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can do and have used several of these utilities both at work and at home. I try to keep them updated as well and store the latest reference files, versions, etc. on a share or Novell drive that is accessible wherever I find myself working.

Thanks again,
    David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What I ended up doing (so far) was change the IE, tools, internet options, colors, uncheck "use windows colors" and then in the accessibility menu, check the first option of "ignore colors specified on web pages".

This enabled a proper, certainly a good, rendering of the web pages in question and we have avoided creating a new profile and any reinstallation issues.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jester

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Under HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerSettings (or the appropriate user if it is not the current user) I found a "custom color" key which, when backed up and then deleted, allowed normal display and behavior.

Jester