3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dialers and ADSL

Before getting ADSL on a 56k dial up to connect to internet was advised by BT here in UK to put a block on all premium rate numbers i.e. 090 as a part safegaurd against any dialers doing there dirty work (not 100% certain but a help they said) Now I have broadband I wonder if it matters and if I can have this block lifted as some competitions, help lines for various home appliances, even TV votes use premium rate numbers (though not always at

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dialers and ADSL

For the dialers to work you need to have your fax modem (or an ISDN terminal adapter) connected to your phone line. If you only have the ADSL modem connected then the dialler software will not be able to dial the 090 numbers. Even though they will not be able to dial out it is worth regularly running anti-spyware software in addition to a good firewall and anti-virus software.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dialers and ADSL

Thanks for confirmation on that. I only use the old modem if and when i need to use the fax, otherwise its unplugged. And always use antivirus, adaware, spybot etc as a routine procedure.