3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Updating Hardware Database Stops Responding

You guys have never let me down. I hope you can continue your perfect record.

My HP Deskjet 660C (yes, it's old) hung during a print job and I couldn't get it cleared. I finally decided to remove it and re-add it. Now whenever I try to add it, the process that shows the "Updating New Hardware Database" message starts, then stops responding and hangs the system. I tried installing an Epson printer and got the same result. My daughter came home with here digital camera and tried to upload pics to my PC from it. The same thing happened: The search process started then stopped responding and hung the system. I haven't tried any other devices for fear that I'd lose them too.

I don't know whether this has any bearing or not, but some weeks before all this happened, I did intall some more memory (up to 320 MB), but IIRC the printer functioned ok after that. When I reboot, all of the memory is tested successfully. Norton Systemworks doesn't find any problems. I run the clean up software daily and adaware and spybot weekly. My NAV dats are current and NAV runs without finding anything.

I don't have any other tricks in my bag. I hope some of you do.

All suggestions greatly appreciated and gratefully received.

Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Updating Hardware Database Stops Responding

Thank you for the reply, Leif!

I followed the link and did as instructed. There were about 500 empty oem*.inf files on my system. After they were finally deleted, I rebooted with the camera attached. The "Finding New Hardware" process completed after awhile, and a message indicated that software was being installed for the camera; but the process stopped responding and hung the system. I detached the camera and successfully rebooted. I haven't tried installing the printer yet. Thought I'd check back here for further assistance rather than compound the damage.

I noodled around a bit on the microsoft site but apparently I don't speak the same language as their search engine.

Any suggestions?

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Thanks

Re: Updating Hardware Database Stops Responding

Other than the KB article above, I'm afraid the only other two references I could find (through Googling) were to retry in safe mode, and to install the software/drivers *before* attaching the hardware if possible.

Let us know how you get on.