Thanks

Prefix keys? (Word 2002 SP1)

In doing a little keyboard remapping (and I mean just a little), I discovered that Ctrl+, is a prefix key. However, Microsoft doesn't have any on-line or kb info about this that I could find. A search of this forum showed that a member uses prefix keys as an alternative to mapping (presumably invoking them by pressing the prefix key, then pressing another key), but no info on how to assign them.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks much,
    Kim

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Prefix keys? (Word 2002 SP1)

When you assign a command to a two-stage keybinding, for example, assigning Alt-A,C for "Accept all Changes", the first stage -- in this case "Alt-A" -- becomes a prefix key. When assigning a different new keybinding, when you enter that same sequence, in this case "Alt-A", Word tells you that's currently a prefix key. Does that help? Or am I misunderstanding your question?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Hi Andrew,

I think I'm almost with you. The screen shots were very helpful, but I still have a question about it.

There were no keyboard assignments prior to my experimenting yesterday. When I typed Ctrl-, into the key assignment field, the dialog reported that it was already a [prefix key]. Or does this mean it is available for use as a prefix key? From your description, a key combo becomes a prefix when you assign it in the manner described. Is it possible it came preconfigured? Can I find out if it's actually working as a prefix key by printing out the key assignments? And, after all that's figured out, does this mean you can use a single prefix key as many times as you have keys on your keyboard?

I guess I had more than one question about it...

Thanks much,
    Kim

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>When I typed Ctrl-, into the key assignment field, the dialog reported that it was already a [prefix key]<hr>
    Please clarify exactly what you typed (a screen shot would really help). When I type Ctrl, followed by a "-", I see discretionary hyphen listed as the shortcut, and it looks like "Ctrl+-". It's not a prefix key by default (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290938), so perhaps you've assigned it as one somewhere along the way. What happens when you print the key bindings?

Thanks

Well, I should have used "+" instead of a hyphen. See my attachment below. It's Ctrl+comma that I was trying to assign.

When I printed out my key assignments Ctrl+comma did not appear, so I don't think I inadvertently assigned it myself.

Since I haven't been using it as a prefix key, I could probably reassign it -- especially since I can use other prefix keys. Or am I missing something?

Thanks for your help,
    Kim
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Found it.
    It's used in the shortcut for a cedilla (Ctrl+,C). They never list those special characters in the key commands lists, for some reason. It may also be part of a shortcut for other characters, but at least now you know why it's a prefix.

Thanks

Oh jolly good!

If I don't need the cedilla (and any other like characters), I can overwrite. It's probably documented under special characters or something like that. Still, MSoft was particularly enigmatic about the whole prefix key thing in general.

Thanks so much,
    Kim