3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupted Icons????

Here's another weird question: Has anyone heard of Icons becoming corrupted, and then failing to do anything when you click on them? I'm still trying to figure out what's causing my computer to lockup when I click on a save Icon. I seem to remember
    something about Icons before, but can't find it now. Is there a way to uninstall/ reinstall Icons??? I've already uninstalled
    the program and deleted the old shortcuts and used new ones, but the problem of the save / lockup/ whole computer continues. The Program Vendors seem as dumb-founded as I am, so they aren't able to help at this time. Any Ideas?? BTW -
    I don't have a virus - I've just re-checked that - it's all clear, so it's a systems problem.

Thanks

Re: Corrupted Icons????

By 'icons', do you mean toolbar buttons?
    Is this behaviour specific to any program in particular? - or is happening to all programs?

If it is only the Save routine of one particular program, I would check the number of files in the folder in question and run a chkdsk/scandisk on that drive.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My questions are: 1) Are we still talking about the software MYHOUSE? 2) Is this the machine on which you've already done a Win98 re-install? 3) From what you've said here and in other threads, I think you've run virus checks, spyware checkers and scandisk, right? If all of those are true, do you think it's time you un-install this program and run for a week or so to see if the machine performance stabilizes? After all, if your answer to Leif's question is that the "saving problem" is only with MYHOUSE, doesn't that point the finger at a program that won't play nice with all the others (Win98)?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The method you probably heard about before for repairing icons is by using TweakUI. On the repair tab you can select the option to rebuild icons.

Though if your problem is with that 1 program then this is unlikely to help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My confusion is this: This program has worked just fine since 1997, through a number of updated versions through the one
    that suddently locked up the computer when I tried to save a file in the program. And, only in the 3D part of that program. Everything else is normal. If the problem was just this program, what could have happened suddenly to make it stop saving files? As stated earlier, I've defragged, scandisked, uninstalled and reinstalled the program. I don't mean to argue, I'm trying to provide clues to you guys who know much more than me. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks

If the 'system' is preventing you from saving, have you checked the folder you are attempting to save to?
    How many files does it have?
    Can you save to it with any other program?
    Can you save to it with the same program, but not '3D'?

I would imagine that 3D files might be quite big. Could it be a memory problem? Can you reduce the size of whatever it is you are trying to save and see if that makes a difference? Are you running any resource monitor that could point to any memory problem?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

This may not be of much help, but perhaps another angle you could look at. I had a similar situation with a program that worked flawlessly, until one day... I tried all the uninstall/ reinstall possibilities, system file checker, the list goes on. I discovered months later that a spy/adware remover had nuked an .OCX that the program used, thinking it was exclusively part of a malware package. I discovered this purely by chance - I'd have never picked up on it by "normal" means because the faulty program gave no diagnostic messages - it just failed to work. In hindsight, I'm thinking that something like Dependency Walker might have helped in identifying the missing support file.

Another related source of problems might be support files being incorrectly registered, or not registered at all.

Alan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

More digging has narrowed it down to this: The Program is named myHouse, and within the program is a section called
    Modeler. When you have created a file in Modeler, and want to view it in 3D (in order to save different views of the same image),
    that's when the problem shows up. The screen showing the 3D image is myHouse.....the Originator is Modeler.
    Now, I can save the orthographic (Modeler) file, but trying to save the myHouse file (3D) is when the computer locks up.
    The Icon is an image of a floppy disk - The same thing happens if I go to SAVE, or SAVE AS within this same 3D screen.
    As mentioned before, I've Scandisked, Degragged, off-loaded all the files in Modeler to a CD, leaving the Modeler section
    empty of ALL files, and the moment I try to save a 3D image, it's a locked-up computer that will not even allow for Ctrl/Alt/Delete....I have to restart the computer with the re-start button. So far, I have uninstalled / reinstalled about five times, using both the current, and older versions of the program. I have talked with the myHouse people, and they tell me they did not install any DLL files, in case I get an invalid page fault. I cannot uninstall the myHouse program - that's the only source of 3D images which is what I need to make the webpages. Could this get any more complicated??? Sorry for the long-winded explanation.

Thanks

Ray,
    You say that you have run a "number of updated versions" since 1997 and it is the latest version that is causing the problems. Do you still have access to the install files for the version prior to this one? If so, have you tried replacing this latest version with the earlier version to see if the problem persists?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>The Icon is an image of a floppy disk - <hr>
    You're not trying to save to a floppy, are you? If so, try saving to a folder on your hard drive.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
    Just for the record. I cleared all the Project files from myHouse. didn't make a difference.
    Decided to put all the backup files back into the computer (ended up being 2 gigabytes worth of files!) MyDocuments was loaded, but the problem continued.
    Next, I noticed that my wonderful machine now had two modems and two monitors. From where I don't know.
    Next, the modem ceased working.
    After more scandisk and defragg, and registry restoring, and nothing seemed to make a difference, I just shut the machine
    down, and left it off for two days.
    When I turned it on again, I did some other non-internet stuff not related to saving files or getting on the net.
    When I was about to shut it off again, I decided to try to modem again, and IT WORKED!
    Then, pushing my luck, I decided to pull a file through Modeler, modify it, put it into 3D and click the save Icon, fully expecting
    a lockup.........but it SAVED THE FILE!!
    Mystery not solved, but computer I was about to throw out to the backyard, was working normally again.
    My guess is something that I put back from the backups (I'll never know what) fixed the problem, and it quietly began to
    work again. Just thought we should publicly acknowledge that myHouse and Modeler was NOT the problem.
    I will now remove one file at a time from myDocuments, and see if the problem returns. If I find the culprit, I'll post again.
    Thanks to all who tried to help.