Thread: Error 3049 (XP)

Lounger
    Thanks

Error 3049 (XP)

I have searched for similar problems, but apparently I'm very bad at the search terms; if I've missed a relevant post, I apologize. I really hope my database is not corrupt, but I know that will probably be the response. I have finished a complete redesign of databases I have been creating over the last 3 years or so. Now, our eight separate databases have been integrated into one database that now hovers just below 10 MB. I have no unexpected errors except one: "Cannot open database <name>. It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt," which occurs *sometimes* when I try to compact and repair the database. I cannot figure out when it will throw the error and when it will not. It most often occurs on close if I turn on the "compact on close" option. The funny thing is, I can successfully compact and repair it while it is open, and then immediately close it (with the compact on close option on), and it will attempt to compact again and throw the error. I have gone through and opened all of the forms and reports in groups, compacting and repairing after each group, to try to isolate one that may be giving it trouble, with no errors at all. I would just not turn on compact on close if I thought that was the only time it failed, but it does it at other times as well. Sometimes I can go several times in a row where it will work, and several times in a row where it will not. I have no idea what else to do. I have imported into a blank database; I have bypassed startup options; I have decompiled. Everything stays compiled, and, like I said, I get no other unexpected errors anywhere. Any idea? Thanks so much.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error 3049 (XP)

Ordinarily, "corrupt database" would indeed be my first reaction if I saw this error message. But it might also be an occasional timing problem; I have seen this error a few times when trying to compact medium-sized databases. I guess that in those cases, compacting took a bit longer than Access expected, or the operating system was a bit slow in releasing a file...
    It's hard to give a definitive answer or recommendation in such cases, except backing up religiously.

Lounger
    Thanks

That's about what I expected, Hans. Thanks so much for your response. I will definitely be backing up things often. I hate when I can't pin down something. Annoying. Thanks again, as always!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I had a somewhat similar experience with an XP database recently - I would get different error messages, but had similar symptoms. If your database is in 2002 format, try importing everything into a 2000 format database - I have a hunch that there's something about the 2002 format that causes it to go a bit wonky every so often. Another more drastic action is to take everything to a 97 format database with an export and then bring it back. Finally, you can actually save a database in text format (that's how SourceSafe does it's magic), but it's a fair bit of bother. Hopefully one of those processes might stop the error. In addition, unless you really need to have it compact on close, I would suggest a process that does it on an automated basis during off-hours. Check for example the automated admin and backup tools from FMS.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Wendell. I will definitely consider your suggestions carefully, but I believe the database is already in 2000 format. If that's the case, would exporting it to 97 format still be a possible solution for what your thinking may be the problem? Thanks again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You can easily check the database format by looking at it in the Database Container Window - it shows in the title bar for Access. In any event it might still help to save it as a 97 version file and then bring it into 2000 again. Was this database originally converted from 97 to 2000? That has been a source of problems for some - we normally import everthing instead of letting Access do the conversion for us.

One caution - some features in 2000 and XP are not supported in 97, so if you have complex code or use features such as DAPs or Pivot Tables, taking it to 97 will lose those capabilities. Otherwise it just might solve your issues.
    Wendell