4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dup Values in Query Result (2000)

Hi,
    I have a query that gives me duplicate values which I'm assuming is because of the number of tables I have. I only want to show 1 record for each item, so I used the Unique Values=Yes feature and that served my purpose until I was just told that individuals will have to edit the data in the form from time to time. The form does not allow me to edit data because of the Unique Value feature. The query has 5 tables in it with relationships (going from left table to right table ) 1-1, 1-M, M-1, 1-M.
    Any thoughts on how I can work around this or how I can fix the dup problem?
    Thanks,
    Deb

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dup Values in Query Result (2000)

Your might see if setting Unique Records to Yes instead of Unique Values. Otherwise, your requirements are contradictory - setting Unique Values to True is equivalent to a Totals query with Group By on all columns. Group By queries are never updatable. You'd have to provide separate forms to edit the data, or a form with subforms.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for responding Hans,
    Setting Unique Values didn't help, that kept the dups there. My problem is if I turn that feature off so I can then edit the form, I have duplicate records so I'm looking for a way around the duplicates. I'm not sure what you mean by separate forms for editing. I still have to use the same query for the form, which doesn't work depending on how the UniqueValue is set, it either doesn't let me edit it, or it gives me dups.
    Thanks,
    Deb

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You are working with five tables. You will have to set up a separate form for each table, instead of one form in which you attempt to edit five tables at once. A form for a table on the "many" side of a relationship can be subform of the form for the table on the "one" side. Oh, and you can use one form for the two tables with a one-to-one relationship.

If you want examples, look at the Northwind demo database that comes with Access, or at the database that is attached to <post#=364203>post 364203</post#>.