Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

different files>in Window display same filenames (Excel XP SP3)

Hiya

We have the following occuring - a user opens up 3-4 different types of excel files. The user the goes to the Excel menu >Window> theres a list of file names of the files open in that current session of Excel. However for this one user in the Windows list - all the different excel files - display all the same file name eg.
    window 1. this is file 1
    window 2. this is file 1
    window 3. this is file 1....etc

this issue occurs randomly on different files ie we cant establish a pattern to recreate the problem. its also occuring in the application Word as well.
    I have given her a new pc & also deleted her local & network profiles. no success.

have you seen this before? any ideas? diana <shrug>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: different files>in Window display same filenames (Excel XP SP3)

Could it be that this user has saved a workbook with multiple windows open on it? If you open a workbook, then select Window | New Window a couple of times, the Window menu shows something like the screenshot below. If you then save the workbook, it will be reopened with multiple windows. This can be undone by closing all windows on the workbook except one, then saving it (just closing the last open window is not enough, you must save explicitly.)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

hi hans....
    i checked that the user hasnt opened multiple windows of the same file. - they havent
    i've actually witnessed the user, the user opens up 3 different excel files> & in the windows list it has the same filenames

diana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is this only in the Window menu? If the user ticks "Windows in Taskbar" in the View tab of Tools | Options..., is the same name displayed three times in the Windows task bar, or are the correct names shown there?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

hi hans...yes this is only occuring in the applicaitons Windows menu. currently the setting window in taskbar is actually unchecked. on the users pc i'll tick this setting & see how it goes...will get back to you....diana