2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exchange Server 2K problem

Ok, i think i know what the problem is, but not enough to know how to solve it.

Exchange Server 2K, part of SBS 2K install. Working fine and installed mainly for a practical environment as i work my way through my MCSE.

This morning Outlook can't log on to Exchange. I go into the server and discover my Exchange drive is full. I empty out some non-Exchange folders, reboot and everything is fine.

So after searching the forums here and other places i work out it is a log issue, in that they keep growing and growing, so the problem is going to come back at some point.

So my question is:

Is it safe to delete old log files, and if not, how do i solve my problem. (Apart from getting a bigger drive!)

Thanks

Re: Exchange Server 2K problem

I'm not an Exchange user, so will be of little help myself - but do these point to anything?
    MSKB 147524: XADM: How Circular Logging Affects the Use of Transaction Logs
    MSKB128325: XADM: Reclaiming Disk Space for the Information Store

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Exchange Server 2K problem

It's not really "safe" to delete transaction logs. I've done it, but it's not consodered safe at all.

Your log files will accumulate until you perform a good backup. That's by design, so that if their is a store problem or a crash, the server will start up and replay the log files so that it will not loose data.

You can turn on "circular logging" which will re-use the log files after a while, but the problem is that you risk loosing data.

Better idea just to run an NTBACKUP backp job of the store every night. Search for "Excahnge Disaster Recovery Whitepaper". It will tell you more than you wanted to know about backup and recovery, which is a pretty critical part of Exchange management.

Hope this helps
    Jim H