New Lounger
    Thanks

Saving Forms (2000)

I have created an interactive form that I want users to be able to save it to there own hard drives. I basically want the users to be able to hit a save button and then choose a save as path. I don't want the form to just save to the form section of the database. Also upon clicking an open saved forms button I want users to be able to open their saved forms and be able to continue interacting with them as if the saved forms were just like regular forms. Is there anyway of doing this in Access or with VBA scripts?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Saving Forms (2000)

Unlike for example DBase or Paradox, Access does not store tables, queries, forms etc. in separate files on disk. An Access .mdb file contains all objects belonging to a database.
    If you want users to be able to create and save their own forms etc., you can use a split database design:
    - A backend database containing only tables. This database resides in a shared network folder.
    - A frontend database containing links to the tables in the backend, plus all other database objects (queries, forms, macros, reports, pages, modules). Each user receives an individual copy of the frontend.

Even apart from this, a split frontend/backend setup is always preferable. There is less chance of database corruption. You can split a database into a frontend and backend using Tools | Database Utilities | Database Splitter.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Adding to Hans' comments (which I agree with completely), allowing users to create and save forms can be problematic even with a split front-end. It's basically impossible with a shared front-end, since 2000 and up require that you have exclusive control in order to create or save a new form or report. With a split front-end it is possible for a user to create and save a form, but there is another issue. Unless that user tells you they have added a form and want it put into the front-end permanentlly, when you deploy the next version with new features or fixes, it wipes out whatever things that user has added - and that happens for reports and queries as well. For that sort of thing, we usually create a separate database for the user, linking only to the tables they need, and have them build and save any forms, reports and queries that they want to keep. Note that users do need a fair bit of knowledge and experience to effectively do that sort of thing with Access. Hope this helps to illuminate the subject a bit more.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, I would like to ask a question based on the same thing as this thread. If I split my database and make the front end an MDE file, if the users then copied this file to their own drives would it still link to the backend on the shared drive OK or would I need to set each up individually and link to the tables? Thank you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The path for the linked tables in a frontend database is hard-coded, so if you copy the frontend from one location to another, the links will still work, provided that the shared drive is available. It might be a good idea to use a UNC path (servershare...) instead of a drive letter (P:...), since different users may have different drive letters set up. (Note: the network administrator can enforce drive letters, if desired.)