New Lounger
    Thanks

Boot Disk: NTFS, Cross-LInked Files and Bad Blocks

Recently I was unable to boot Win XP on my PC. It appeared to be constantly reading the system disk.

So: I ran a low-level disk diag and found several bad blocks (hard read errors) on the disk.

Wanting to be very careful (and since it was time for a disk upgrade), I bought a new disk and installed it as master on the controller with a new copy of Win XP.
    (The problem disk is now the slave disk on the controller; I can read the files, etc).

I'd really like to be able to be able to boot from the old system disk (or copy the disk to a partition on the new disk and then boot from that).
    So: I decided to find out exactly what's wrong.

Running chkdsk on the bad disk reports that there are errors but gives few details. (I'm reluctant to use /f without understanding what's wrong in detail).

Running the NTFS integrity checker from Norton Partition Magic gives messages about "cross-linked" files but no details.

My question: Is there a tool "out there" which will examine the NTFS file structure and provide details about problems
    (such as the names of the cross-linked files and the cluster numbers which are cross-linked, etc).

Thanks in advance

WM

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Boot Disk: NTFS, Cross-LInked Files and Bad Blocks

From bitter experience with PC hard disks over the last 20 or so years, I would say:

1) if you start getting bad blocks on a disk, it's probably all downhill from there
    2) even if you knew lots about the cross-linked files, there isn't much you can do about them
    3) doing CHKDSK D: /F /V /R may sort out some things, but don't bet on it

You are in the fortunate position of being able to access (most of?) the files on the old hard disk. I would suggest you get at much as you can off it, then CHKDSK it, then see if you can get any more. Then consign it to the bin! "New hard disks aren't expensive" (as Biggles said about maps)...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Boot Disk: NTFS, Cross-LInked Files and Bad Bl

Thanks for your reply

1. I agree (That's why I got the new disk).

I'm will copy off everything I can so I should not really lose any data. (I've already done this for the important stuff).

However, since I never made an image copy (disk backup) before the problems started I'm faced with essentially re-installing and updating all the applications on my new disk which is a pain (but doable) .

(My one attempt so far to now make an image copy failed mysteriously. I'll try it again this time using Ghost or whatever...).

If I can get an image copy to another disk, I can try to ffix it up so I can boot windows again.

So: (being the old system programmer that I am) it seemed worth a little poking around to see if I can see what (presumably windows) files are messed up. It's also an opportunity for me to better understand partitioning and the innards of NTFS (worth a little bit of time).

2. The disk seems to have only a few bad blocks and Norton Partition Magic only reports one or two cross-linked files.

If I can determine which Windows files are problematic, I would expect I can replace them (with recovery console or whatever)

(I naively assumed that ntfs validity checking programs would have an option to display all the gory details. Seems to me that years ago I used to be able to get detail from scandisk or something similar).

WM

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I'm also an "Olde Systems Programmer" (come back the 3350, all is forgiven!), and I can see why you're interested!

But remember that PC hardware and Windows haven't yet got to the stage that MVS and VM were at ten to fifteen years ago...!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You could try SpinRite: http://grc.com/spinrite.htm .

I doubt you'll have much success trying to make an image backup of a disk with bad sectors. In my experience, these sorts of programs are way to sensitive to let anything like that slide.

Even though it's a pain, often it is better to start with a completely fresh install.

Jim H

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hey, thanks for posting that, Jim. I was about to say something about "does SpinRite do NTFS" but it's been awhile, so I thought I'd check your link. It seems I bought my copy of SpinRite 5 in August 2003, so am entitled to a freebie of version 6. Thanks a lot, to you AND Steve G. at GRC.COM!