Super Moderator
    Thanks

XIMETA NetDisk Hard Drive 160GB

XIMETA
    We bought one at Fry's for $139 USD. Installed on my desktop as a USB device and shared. It works great from all of the other computers and was able to burn backup DVDs from it.

It is capable of being installed using a cat5 cable to a hub/router. We do not have a spare port at this time to see how it works as a network drive. The documentation states that the software MUST be install on ALL machines that is going to access the drive from the hub/router.

We bought as a portable drive as our laptops seem to get full after a few days with 2 cameras. Well worth the investment. I may get another, for those trips to work on a machine that needs to be backed up before too much surgery.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Re: XIMETA NetDisk Hard Drive 160GB

As devices in the "Network Attached Storage" (NAS) space go, this is a really good price. Skimming the manual, it appears to operate quite differently from most business products, which emulate a Windows server and therefore don't need a special driver installed on each computer. Perhaps this is why they can offer it for less??

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have no Fry's in my area. Do they trade online? That price you paid is nowhere to be found on the web, at least not so far!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

OutPost

They do NOT have this one listed, but there are several others.

This was $189 and a $50 rebate,making it 139. Just called local store and it was a one day in house special. Each store and OutPost have thier own different stock and prices.

Thanks

If you don't plan to use the Ethernet sharing feature, there are plenty of USB hard drives out there. For example:

IOGear USB 2.0/Firewire 800 combo drive, 3 year warranty, 120 GB model $160, 160 GB model, $190

Maxtor "One Touch" USB 2.0 drive, 1 year warranty 120 GB, $149, 200 GB, $224

Etc.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the links, Dave and Jefferson. For some time I've had it in the back of my mind to try one or more external USB drives, only for backup imaging purposes. As you may remember from other threads, I have an old Pentium Pro 200 machine upstairs with three 40-gig drives in it, along with the boot drive of 8-gig. I use the three 40s for alternating weekly backup imaging with TrueImage. The secondary reason I keep the machine is so I can dabble in LAN questions here in The Lounge. Truth is, as my "retirement" moves on in time, I really don't need more than one computer but I wouldn't eliminate it unless I had a backup solution like external USB. The only trouble with that is, I like the "alternating" idea (belt and suspenders) but at the minimum sizes available that's a tough decision. Anyway, thanks again for the links, and Dave, if you feel so inclined post back here as you "experience" your new drive with - did you partition it, how's the access time, etc. Interesting to see how you get on with it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The wife and I have moved our photos from the desktop to the NetDrive. I have not seen any problems except at first I could NOT figure out why Norton's was popping up and telling it was scanning that drive. Then I saw that Betty was coping to the drive and up pop a notice, the drive is attached to my machine and shared. The speed seems to be real good.

We have separate folders instead of partitioning. We did did not want the extra "shares".