5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Link Table (2000)

I have 2 databases. I want to link a table in the one database to the other database and vice versa.
    I have never linked tables before. I see a utility called a Linked Table Manager. I looked in help for some information but there wasn't any information.
    I thought anytime the table in the database was refreshed, the linked table in the other database would automatically update.
    Is this wrong and how do I use the "Linked Table Manager"???

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Link Table (2000)

Although it is possible to "link a table in the one database to the other database and vice versa", the usual setup is to use one database to store only tables (the backend database), and one or more databases to enter, edit, view and analyze the data (the frontends). The frontend(s) will contain only links to the tables in the backend, plus queries, forms, reports etc.

This setup is generally recommended for multiuser databases. The chance of corruption of the data is smaller, and if you give each user his/her own copy of the frontend, there is less chance of conflicts. If you have a database that contains both tables an queries, forms etc., and you would like to split it into a frontend and backend, you can use Tools | Database Utilities | Database Splitter...

Another use for linked tables if you want to use the data from one database in another, for instance as a lookup table. In such cases, you open the database in which you want the link, and select File | Get External Data | Link Tables...

Once tables have been linked, changes in the source tables in the backend will automatically be reflected in the links in the frontend(s), and if you edit data in the links in the frontend, the changes will be stored in the tables in the backend.

The Linked Table Manager is a tool to manage the links if the backend has been moved or renamed. The path and name of the source of linked tables is hard-coded into the forntend database, so if you move or rename the backend, the links won't work any more. The Linked Table Manager lets you fix this. You do not need the Linked Table Manager to update the data in the linked tables.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As usual, I am going against the grain. The databases are not split into front end and back end. The databases are just used as a receptacle for reports. The data is created in another program, saved as Excel and imported into Access. I create a multitude of reports that the users request. I put the database on a share drive and send the link to everyone who uses it. I have a backup of the database in case something happens to the original. The users access the reports by a switchboard that contains forms that have option buttons for each report. I have been asked to create a similar database so now I want to use the table in the one database in the other and vice versa. Instead of putting everything in one database, I thought I would make two databases and just link the tables keeping the data separate and only using the tables when I needed to create a report that used the linked table.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, you can certainly do that. Create the links using File | Get External Data | Link Tables... in each of the databases.