3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Customze/Extend Windows Explorer (Windows XP)

I'm looking for a way to custmize the look of Windows Exploere beyond that of the options available via the Tools-Folder Options menu link. For example I'd like to use the Thumbnail view but see more details about the file then the default. I'd like to see details like are available in the Details view. I was told by someone that you can do this in Windows XP by editing some kind of file. I have had no luck finding any info about this type of capability in Windows Explorer but I am hoping....

Ed Carden

Thanks

Re: Customze/Extend Windows Explorer (Windows XP)

It has been a long time since I researched this, maybe even when I had Windows 2000, so my memory is vague...

If you right-click a folder in Windows Explorer, preferably your own folder and not one of the "special" folders like My Pictures, and choose Properties, you should find a tab named Customize. The first section lets you choose a template to apply to that folder. I think these templates are customizable, but if I recall correctly, it was a bit complicated. Maybe this will help lead you toward a solution.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Are you asking how to customize the balloon contents for each file in a thumbnail view?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Oh boy, I've never done anything with this, but is it possible you're talking about customizing a DESKTOP.INI file? Check this link to see if it's what you're talking about.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What you are referencing is the closest thiing yet to what I'm looking for but still not 0 there. I have a feeling I'm going to have to just find a Windows Explorer replacement program that does what I am looking for as it does not appear that Windows has any way to make these kinds of changes to Windows explorer without writing your own custom program that is an extension of the shell .

Thanks