New Lounger
    Thanks

Removing PDFMaker 6.0 toolbar (Word 2003)

Hi,

I read something about this somewhere before, but can no longer find it. For some really annoying reason, Adobe Acrobat 6.0 (the PDF writer--not the reader) seems to insist that I include its toolbar in my Office 2003 apps. Right now, I'm fighting with it in Word. I've tried unchecking the toolbar, but it comes back the next time I open any Word document. Even in the windows of other documents. That is, if I'm working on document A and remove the toolbar, if I open document B, the toolbar redisplays itself in the document A window. How rude! It wastes a whole line in my toolbar area and I never, ever use it! I've tried to delete it (Tools, Customize, Toolbars) by selecting the name and clicking on delete, but it comes back every time I open a Word document.

I seem to remember that getting rid of it permanently involved getting rid of XLA files to permanently eliminate the toolbar from Excel, but that doesn't seem to be working for Word.

Does anyone know of a silver bullet that will kill that annoying toolbar once and for all?

Thanks in advance,

Marshall

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Removing PDFMaker 6.0 toolbar (Word 2003)

Check out <post#=391733>post 391733</post#>

New Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew,

Nice try, but no cigar. Your macros did indeed make the toolbar go away, but as I said in my original post, opening new documents causes it to come back--not only in the newly opened document, but in all those already open. The macro only runs the first time Word starts--not as new documents are opened. Yet the nasty Acrobat macro that reinstalls the toolbar seems to run with every file open.

Marshall

Thanks

By default, PDFMaker.dot installs into Word's Startup folder and therefore runs (as you would expect) every time you start Word. To have access to Acrobat's toolbar only when you want it, see the approach describe by StuartR in <post#=325364>post 325364</post#>. No VBA required.

Note: each version of Office has slightly different paths for the "global" startup folder listed in Start's post, so drill down until you find it. If the template isn't there, you can determine the location of your personal Word startup folder under Tools>Options...>File Locations, select Startup and click Modify.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It sounds like Jefferson's suggestion may make the most sense for you.
    To use the VBA you'd also need an event handler to hide the toolbar using the NewDocument event ... a complicated solution unless you really want it under View -> Toolbars.