New Lounger
    Thanks

Find links in documents (2000/SR-1)

I am about to move a large amount of documents from one directory structure to another, is there a way to identify all the Word documents that have external links in them (such as inserts, mail merge files, etc..).

I have searched this forum but have not found anything that will do a bulk search.

Thanks

Re: Find links in documents (2000/SR-1)

This is where the *nix users exclaim "Use Perl!" But seriously, I'm not aware of any tool that does this. You can index the contents of documents, but even then you would need to search repetitively for a large number of field codes.

In more recent versions of Word, the program seems to convert relative paths to absolute paths, so there is a chance they still will work. I guess that isn't really the issue in this case, you probably prefer to keep everything together... Hmmm...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick response, as a first step I'm only trying to identify how big a problem I have on my hands.
    Microsoft had a macro which opens each document and identifies if it has any links in it, the problem is that when it gets to a document with a broken link (such as a mail merge) it stops and asks to locate the missing file or delete the tags. I was looking for a unattended process to go through all the files and identify how many have external links.

Again thanks for the help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Where's the macro? I imagine one could hack it into submission.