5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Monitoring correspondence (2000)

I have a table to record correspondence received, with fields called DateReceived and DateReplyDue (14 days after date of receipt) and DateReplySent. I need to generate reports that count how many were replied to within the due period and how many outside this period, how many have not yet been replied to - again within and without the due period. Finally I need the report to display the percentage replied to within the due time.
    Anyway, the question is.. would this be obtained most easily from a Report based on a Crosstab Query.. or do I need to base the report on two queries which produce counts and then sums? I hope that you get the gist..? Thanks, Andy.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Monitoring correspondence (2000)

I would do the latter, or more to the point, avoid doing a crosstab at all costs. The key to the latter approach is creating an identifier for the time periods of interest, and grouping on it. It could be a counter, or a date (such as period start date or period end date), as long as it correctly denotes those groups. Once you have that, you're home free.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You don't really need a DateReplyDue field, since it is derived from DateReceived. You can create a query based on your table that returns flags (true/false) for the various statuses:

SELECT tblDates.ID, tblDates.DateReceived, tblDates.DateReplySent, [DateReceived]+14 AS DateReplyDue, IIf([DateReplySent] Is Null,0,[DateReplySent]<=[DateReplyDue]) AS RepliedOK, IIf([DateReplySent] Is Null,0,[DateReplySent]>[DateReplyDue]) AS RepliedLate, ([DateReplySent] Is Null) And ([DateReplyDue]>=Date()) AS NotRepliedOK, ([DateReplySent] Is Null) And ([DateReplyDue]<Date()) AS NotRepliedLate
    FROM tblDates;

Where tblDates is the name of the table. Let's say you save this as qryStatus. Create another query based on the first one that computes counts and percentages:

SELECT Abs(Sum([RepliedOK])) AS CountRepliedOK, Abs(Sum([RepliedLate])) AS CountRepliedLate, Abs(Sum([NotRepliedOK])) AS CountNotRepliedOK, Abs(Sum([NotRepliedLate])) AS CountNotRepliedLate, Count(*) AS CountTotal, [CountRepliedOK]/[CountTotal] AS PercRepliedOK, [CountRepliedLate]/[CountTotal] AS PercRepliedLate, [CountNotRepliedOK]/[CountTotal] AS PercNotRepliedOK, [CountNotRepliedLate]/[CountTotal] AS PercNotRepliedLate
    FROM qryStatus;

See attached demo.
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry to be a pain but can this attachment be re-posted in Access 97 format? And thank you, I believe this is exactly the information I need. Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Here you go.
    Attached Files Attached Files