Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adding Times (XP)

I thought this would be easy -- but it's not working out that way. I have to add a list of times. (i.e. 8min 20 second, 6 min 15 seconds). When I format cells to any of the time options, or to the custom options, it doesn't seem to work. Any idea as to how I get get Excel to recognize these figures properly?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Adding Times (XP)

That should work, what sort of errors are you getting?

Thanks

Excel converts dates to a number of days from a fixed start date (I don't know what the start date is). To get the number of days between two dates, you just subtract the two dates (assuming they are in date format). For excel 32000 = Aug 11, 1987.

Time is the same but it is using fractions of days. For excel 0.4 = 9:36:00 am (or 40% of the way thru the day). If you enter the time as hh:mm:ss, excel auto formats it to time and then you should be able to add them together.

One thing to watch for is taht if you add 0.4 and 0.4 and 0.4 you will get 4:48:00 am using one time format or 28:48:00 using another time format.
    (Location Australia, then UK, but now USA. Heart, outlook, attitude, etc always Australian)
    Quote: "All Happiness is the release of internal pressure"

Thanks

Do you have an excel "time" in the cell or is it text.

Format it to general and if it is a number it can be formatted to a time, if it stays the same it is text and excel will not interpret it as a time.

Steve

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

As Steve notes, Excel is very picky about the formatting of time entries. In the following table, I entered 4 minutes 48 seconds in the second column, formatted to be a valid time in Excel. I had to use a leading zero for no hours, a colon, minutes, a colon, then seconds:
    <table border=1><tr><td>4 min 48 sec</td><td align=right>0:04:48</td><td align=right>
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS