TonyLee

Office 97 on Win 2K Pro

Hi,

For various reasons I am currently trying to install Office 97 on a Windows 2000 Pro PC. This is newly built and therefore has no remnants of other office installs hanging around. It is Windows 2000 Pro SP1 and Office 97 SR2b

I am logging on with Administrator privileges and have no problem installing Office 97 and it also works fine - but only for the user who installed it.

This PC is to be used by a number of different people who authenticate via a domain and I therefore would like Office 97 to be available under the "All Users" profile. When installing you don't get the question asking if you want to install for "this user" or "all users", as you get on newer software written specifically for Windows 2000.

I have tried just copying the start menu shortcuts across to the "All Users" profile but things aren't working correctly. I imagine it is because the install process would update registry entries and the like as well as creating the shortcuts.

Does anybody know an easy way to get Office 97 working for "All Users" on Windows 2000. If not, can anybody help me with the hard way and give me a definitive list of registry settings that need changing.

Hope this makes sense.

Tony Lee.[img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office 97 on Win 2K Pro

Hi Tony,

I am trying to determine after reading your post if you are logging on with adminitrator privileges, or actually as administrator.

Sounds as if you know this already but the NT-based operating systems keep separate registries for each user. You could try using REGEDT32 (as an administrator) and copying the SOFTWARE tree. Office is primarily stored under HKCUSOFTWAREMICROSOFTOFFICE, but I bet you dollars to donuts that there's other various things scattered throughout the OS that will make this a risky venture at best. Can't hurt to try it if you have a current backup though.

Good luck, and maybe someone else will even know definitively whether you can do this or not!
    -Mark

TonyLee

thanks for the response.

I installed office 97 as a user with admin privileges. That is working fine. The other users who will be using the PC are all members of the Power Users group. I know this will have permissions implications but I have a list of what is required (from the MS KB).
    My problem is getting office available to these users. I hoped there would be a KB article about this also - but not even a hint of it being a problem ? (am I the only person trying to do this ? or am I just incapable !?!).
    I am fast realizing that I will have to start hacking away and hope I get everything I need - unless there is somebody out there who knows better !!

Tony

New Lounger
    Thanks

is office 97 installed on the other computers?

TonyLee

There is only 1 computer involved. It will have several users signing on but who exactly is not known and therefore they are not set with local profiles. They authenticate via a domain and the "domain users" global group is addded to the PCs local "power users" group so all users will be power users.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Try this out, I had posted it on thr wrong post.

The following is from "Practical MS Windows 2000 Professional" Que by Ed Bott:
    One of the least known and most useful system folders in Windows 2000 is the All Users folder. Any objects you create in the Desktop or Start Menu folders here will be visible to anyone who logs on to the computer. When you install a program while logged on as an administrator, Windows usually puts program shortcuts in All Users folder. Any user who is a member of the Power Users or Administrators group can add or delete icons from these folders, too. To open this folder, click the Start button, choose Run, enter %allusersprofile% (be sure to include the percent signs), and press Enter.

Note: This is one of the best books I have run into. List price $24.99 USA, User level Beginning to Intermediate
    ISBN 0-7897-2124-4

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

TonyLee

thanks Dave.
    My main problem though is not getting the icons in this folder but ensuring that that is sufficient. Others in my org have tried similar and said that office has "problems" when running. I am assuming that there are other things that need doing - i.e some registry changes that the install program would do ??
    In the meantime I will look for this book and keep on fiddling.

Tony. [img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img]