Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Confession (IE6 SP1)

Confession: I hate to admit it, but I have no idea what the type of email capability that is built into Internet Explorer is called, and that I am using as I write this to post to The Lounge. I don't recall ever having read about it, not even in Woody's email newsletter.
    It doesn't give you a copy of what you wrote unless you think to make one, and I don't know if there's a way of adding attachments. It's often the only means of getting through to corporations and the like. What are the tricks?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Confession (IE6 SP1)

<hr>...email capability that is built into Internet Explorer... <hr>
    As far as I know, there is no email capability built in to IE. I think what you're talking about is a myriad of ways that web pages are designed to accept input from the person, i.e. browser, viewing the page.

Thanks

This is not 'email' as such - the Lounge is what is using what is known as 'Message Board' software to accept input, sort it, file it and display as the Forums you see.
    When you enter your post, the message (and any attachment) is stored directly on the Lounge server - notifications are sent out by email as a secondary function. To access the Lounge, you only need to use a browser anywhere in the world and not an email client.

If you want to learn more, check this old Lounge Software thread - note that Eileen's link is now pointing to ubbcentral

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A better term than email would be messaging. It's unfortunate that the term is already used by IM, but it's really the best term. All email is messaging but not all messaging is email.

Many web pages (but fewer than there used to be) use the mailto: link. This invokes the default email application on the computer you're using. It can be problematical if the default email application isn't configured. (I had a customer who strictly used Yahoo mail so never bothered configuring her email application. Was very frustrated why some 'email' links worked & some didn't-until I explained the difference. Luckily she had an email account from her ISP-she just hadn't bothered configuring her email app since she didn't use it. Now it's configured to send via her ISP's email with 'Reply-To' set to Yahoo.)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all - I have never seen this documented anywhere for the ordinary user. The Lounge is the best by far that I've seen, but when it comes to corporate sites I find that I'm often struggling to say things in real time that don't lend themselves to quick composition. On the other hand, a lot of help sites now use instant messaging, which seems to work well in the context of help. I think The Lounge is about the only place I've seen that allows attachments, and it has its many bells and whistles beyond that - corporate sites are often like the old quizzes that want everything in twenty-five words or less.