4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ODBC & XML .... or is this a silly question? (XP)

Dear Longers,

I have some data supplied as an XML file. Rather than import it I'd like to ODBC to it but am not sure this is possible since it is basically a text file. Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you.................... liz

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ODBC & XML .... or is this a silly question? (

You would rather not import it into... what? So far as I know there is no ODBC driver that supports flat XML files, you would need to get it into some form of database to use it in that fashion. Also, do you have the DTD (Document Type Definition) for the XML structure? To parse the data out accurately you will probably need that as well.
    -Mark

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,

It will go into an Access db. No I don't have the DTd but thought I would be able to define it from the file - its my music library held in iTunes. Just to add a bit of context this seesmt o be my only way to satisfy my informational need for my library as all the jukeboxes I have found do not allow user defined tags and hey don't hold all the information I want - obviously they could in a unstructered way but this would not be easily, interrogatable and would undoubtedly have inconsistencies... so if you have a better idea?

thank you................. liz

ps LTA - liz tries again OR love the accronym OR little things always!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not entirely sure what it is that you are trying to accomplish as an end result, but often in Software Finds and Wants different utilities for managing music collections have been discussed. I tend to stick with ID3 tags myself, perhaps one of these days I will get around to adding more information than those can hold...
    -Mark

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,

Not that it should matetr what I am trying to accomplish as, let's face it, we all have our peculiar needs; but it is a fairly extensive database representing my music library but with much more than the ID3 tags could hold for example: date and location of recording, individual muscians (held separately so i can search for other performances), publication date of the CD (or recorded item), danceability, composer & artist (band) separately, Musicality catagory, instruments etc.

Anyway maybe I will have to put up with import since it seens ODBC isn't likely.

liz

Thanks

Microsoft's XML parsing library probably is on your computer already. I've only worked seriously with it a little bit, but you could use it in an Access VBA Module to cull through an XML file and identify records to add to a table or set of tables. This might be a lot of programming work, though, so I'm not sure it's worth the time. Because many people use iTunes, there might be some code out there on the web. (Whether it's code for Windows, though...)