Lounger
    Thanks

Database Query (Frontpage 2003)

I have a relatively simple site hosted by Verio. I want to add a page where folks can query a database of names (Access XP database) by entering the last name. I have no problem writing the query in Access but my question is this. How do I set up a query on the website that acceses the mdb file and returns with the record being sought?

I'm fairly new to website construction and while my site runs well, this one is a little over my head.

Thanks

Re: Database Query (Frontpage 2003)

I am totally clueless about using Access, but these may give you some pointers:

Microsoft Office Assistance: About creating data-driven Web sites

OutFront Turorial - Spooky's Databases

Lounger
    Thanks

The links, especially the second one, look promising. (If a little complex).
    Thanks for the help.

Thanks

Does your host support FrontPage Server extensions? If so, the built-in database features of FrontPage will handle most simple search-and-report functions. I haven't used those features since FP2000, though, so I really have no idea how they work any more. Lately I've been writing ASP/ADO code, which gives you a lot more flexibility but probably is more trouble than it's worth for your needs.

Thanks

Sorry, one other thought. If you don't have strong password protection on your site, make sure to only upload "public" information. Otherwise, you could have a whole database of people very angry with you. (I.e., even if your query only retrieves certain fields, there often are ways to coax everything in the database out.)

Lounger
    Thanks

So far the Help section of FrontPage has been less than clear on the topic.

Lounger
    Thanks

The site is a password protected site. No anonymous browsing allowed.

Thanks

Sorry to hear the online help doesn't. You might have to buy a third party book that covers it in more detail. The one I used obviously was for FrontPage 2000, but it had a large chapter on data access. Unless I mentioned it in an earlier post, there's no way I'll ever remember the title or author.

For FrontPage 2003, I see from Microsoft's version comparison chart that there are many new features. Hopefully someone with FP2003 experience will be able to help. Until then, perhaps these articles will get you started:
    <UL><LI>How to Use an Existing Database with the Database Interface Wizard in FrontPage 2003 (MSKB 825502 )

<LI>Data Solutions with Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003: The Database Interface Wizard and the Data View Web Part (MSDN Technical Articles)

<LI>How to display a picture by using an Access database in FrontPage 2003 (MSKB 825515)[/list]