I had to replace the mainboard (with an Epox 8RDA3) and have gone through the pain of reinstalling all the drivers including the sound (onboard Realtek AC'97 audio) and the device manager says that everything is fine but I have no sound. When I bring up the multimedia properties it says that I have no playback or recording devices for audio. I have deleted the device and reinstalled using the W98 drivers and I've reinstalled using the drivers that came with the mainboard all several times with still no sound. I've searched my devices in the device manager and the audio is assigned to IRQ 5 and I can find no conflicts. The sound is enabled "Auto" in the BIOS. I've sacrified a goat but I guess I can't read the blood spatter pattern. [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] If anybody has any ideas, please help.

I've since made some further changes. I turned off a few things in the BIOS and I've gone through the Device Manager again:
0 System timer
1 Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 COM 2
4 COM 1
5 1394 Host Controller
nVidia nForce MCP networking
nVidia nForce PCI System Management
Standard OpenHCI USB Host Controller
6 Floppy drive
7 ECP Printer port
8 System CMOS real-time clock
10 MPU 401 Compatible
11 nVidia video card
Realtek Fast Ethernet NIC
Realtek AC'97 Audio
nVidia USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
Standard OpenHCI USB Host Controller
12 Mouse
13 Numeric data processor
14 Primary IDE
Standard Dual PCI Controller
15 Secondary IDE

I'm suspicious about the overload or IRQ 5. As there are no 1394 devices, I'm going to try turning that off in the BIOS next I also just realize that I haven't tested the networking yet. Given what I'm seeing I doubt it would work either. As far as I can tell, there is no way to force anything in the BIOS to a specific IRQ except for the COM ports. It seems strange that the "Standard OpenHCI USB host controller" shows up twice with different interrupts but deleting one or both always ends up with them getting recreated upon restart.

I did some Googling and there were some mentions of editing the win.ini files to solve this type of problem but I couldn't get any specific details.

Again, if anybody has any ideas, please chime in.

Michael C.