3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

footer & section breaks (2000)

I need to have a footer on the first few pages of a doc, and then no footer after that. I inserted a section break and followed the procedure to "break" the connection that the OWrd help system gives but that doesn't work (as usual with MS). Can anyone help me?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: footer & section breaks (2000)

If you insert a section break, and turn off Same as Previous for the footer in the second section, both sections still have the same footer. But you can now edit them independently. So if you clear the footer for the second section, that for the first section remains.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That is what is supposed to happen. It does NOT work in this case.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It has always worked for me. I have attached a zipped document with two sections; the first has a footer text, the second has a blank footer.

If you wish, you can make a copy of your document, remove its contents (except for the section break, some dummy text and the footers) and attach it, so that Loungers can investigate it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thx - I didn't see anything about that doc that mine lacks - I tried both next pg and cont. section breaks. Here is the dos.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You have turned off "Same as Previous" for the HEADER of the third section, but not for the FOOTER of the third section, and that's where your text is. Position the insertion point in the footer of the third section, then turn off "Same as Previous", and delete the text of the footer.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK - Thanks - that worked but oly for the last part of the doc. (Which I apperently cannot use to put apdf in anyway, see other thd re insert pdf).

Now, on p4 is a footer that if deleted deletes the footer on the main doc (pgs 1,2,3) - the button that breaks these links is already grayed out from me turning in off before. Any ideas what is up with that one?

Thanks

Randy, look carefully at the name above the footer box. There can be up to three separate footers, each with their own Link to Previous buttons. For example, you might find you have both a "Footer" and a "First Page Footer" (which actually is not the first page in the document, but the first page in that section) and maybe even an "Even Pages Footer." You can reduce the number of footers you have to worry about by using the Page Setup button for Section 2 and clearing the checkboxes that cause extra footers. Hope this helps.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When I open your document, the first section break is on page 4. This means that the start of page 4 belongs to the first section. You can verify this by clicking at the beginning of the first line on page 4 - the status bar will indicate Page 4 Section 1. Therefore, on page 4 the header and footer of section 1 are still in force. If you double click the footer on page 4, you will see Footer (Section 1).

If you move the section break from page 4 to page 3, the footer on page 4 will be that of the second section. If you unlink it from the footer of the first section, you can clear it. The first section footer will still be displayed on pages 1, 2 and 3.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thx to both of you - I have it fixed now. I'm glad I don't have to depend on MS....

Now I just need to figure out the pdf issue I posted on the other thread....

Thanks

> I'm glad I don't have to depend on MS....

Maybe this is out of place, but... perhaps you should stick with WordPerfect, or whatever your preferred editor is. It's quite difficult to get used to Word's way of doing things unless you really plunge in and live with it a lot. Trying it out occasionally definitely is a recipe for frustration. Especially on a Friday night!