3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

insert pdf (2000)

How can I insert a pdf file inside my Word document? I can insert pics (gif/jpeg/etc) is there anyway to do this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: insert pdf (2000)

You can make a screenshot of a (page of a) PDF file and paste that into your Word document.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, but I have many dozens of pages. Anything I can do? I'm not going to repeat this 50 times.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is no way you can insert a 50 page PDF file in a Word document as one object and have it being displayed (as far as I know). You could provide a hyperlink to the PDF file.

Added: you asked a similar question at the beginning of this month, in <post#=386121>post 386121</post#>. Please review the replies in that thread.

Thanks

Why do you want them in Word?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, here is the situation. I have to file - electronically a Declaration in federal court. I am required to file a single doc. The exhibits have to look EXACTLY like the real thing - not extra footers for example. The lead in is my Declaration which I wirte up in Word. So thats why I want them in Word - each one right after a page with "Exhibit #" on it. I COULD keep them as pdf's but ONLY if I can take my Decl. and make it into a pdf (no problem) but I would then have to stick all the things together -- and I don't have a way to put multiple pdfs together to make a single doc. Does that make sense?

Also, hyper links are not allowed - andyou don't wnat to break a judge's rules....

Thanks

Acrobat lets you concatenate as many PDFs as you like. I'm not sure if any of the "low cost alternatives" have that feature. Researching... Actually, it looks as though pdfEdit995 might be able to do it. Worth a try!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As I mentioned in <post#=386152>post 386152</post#> (a reply to <post#=386121>post 386121</post#>), GhostScript can quickly convert PDFs to EPS or TIFF format, both of which you can easily import into Word. If you take the 20 minutes or so to figure out the appropriate command-line syntax, you could batch-convert all 50 at once.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, after that post I downloaded it. I've tried to use it twice. It just pops up a command line prompt. When I was a graduate student I like cmd line prompts because I could really fly once I learned a program. Now, I don't have the luxury of that much time. I deleted ghostwriter about an hour ago. But thanks anyway.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Randy,

Since all of your documents start off in Word, you could also concatenate them via a set of INCLUDETEXT fields in a target document that points to each of the others as source documents. That way, you'd only need to convert a single Word document to pdf.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Randy,

Some quick experimenting and a peek at the GhostScript help files turned up some answers.

<pre>> gswin32c -sDEVICE#pnggray -sOutputFile#exhibit.png -r300 -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE exhibit.pdf
    </pre>

Turns the pdf file "exhibit.pdf" into a grayscale png file, at 300dpi resolution, named "exhibit.png"

The quickest way to do a batch conversion would probably be to create a .BAT file, like the following:
    <pre>gswin32c -sDEVICE#pnggray -sOutputFile#Exhibit1.png -r300 -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE Exhibit1.pdf
    gswin32c -sDEVICE#pnggray -sOutputFile#Exhibit2.png -r300 -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE Exhibit2.pdf
    gswin32c -sDEVICE#pnggray -sOutputFile#Exhibit3.png -r300 -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE Exhibit3.pdf
    gswin32c -sDEVICE#pnggray -sOutputFile#Exhibit4.png -r300 -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE Exhibit4.pdf
    </pre>

You'd want to replace with your file names, of course.

Just double-click on the .BAT file to do your conversion.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks macropod - That works (almost). With or w/o the ! switch, it doesn't incude the footer from the document. Do you know of a way to include that?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This seemed to work, but all of a sudden (when I tried to write the combined file out to a pdf ) the fileds say error cannot open file. I dont know why - the files are right there where they were before. Inserting new fields or updating the old field does not work.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Randy,

To get headers/footers, you may need to bookmark them and pull them across via their own INCLUDETEXT fields into the corresponding headers/footers in the target document. You may also need to use section breaks with unlinked headers/footers to get this to work properly.

As for the errors you're getting at print time, that sounds like the fields aren't coded correctly. If that were the case, though, I would have thought that they wouldn't work beforehand either. Two suggestions that might overcome this:
    1) make sure to include the ! switch in the field; and
    2) uncheck the 'update links' option under Tools|Options|Print.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The include text fields work (but w/o footers) if I close Word and restart it. At that point I called it good enough and wrote a note to the Court about the footers.

The ghosscript scripts didn't make sense to me (didn't seem to put two files into a single file) since I didn't understand them I didn't pursue that.

Thx again for everyone's help.