Thread: DVD file types

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DVD file types

We just got back from vacation in Rhodes, Greece. While we were SCUBA diving, a digital film was made and burnt on to a DVD. The file type are BUP, IFO and VOB. Windows Media Player doesn't know what to do with this DVD. Any suggestions for a good program that will enable me to enjoy this DVD?

Thanks in advance!

Maury

Thanks

Re: DVD file types

Possibly the burn got scrambled?. See this site for a description and explanation of these file types. Have you tried playing the disc in a standard DVD player?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the prompt response. I can't tell if the burn got scrambled, as I don't know enough about DVD's to say anything sensible. From what I gather from the website you linked, Windows Media Player does not support this type of file. I tried playing the DVD in my normal DVD player (not part of a pc), and it just said that it didn't recognize the disk. I suspect I simply don't have the correct type of program. Any recommendations for freeware DVD players?

Maury

Thanks

Real Player is one that comes to mind. There are others (see this site for reviews) or search tucows for others. Most of them are commercial or shareware programs however.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Try searching with Google for freeware DVD players. There are several around.

My guess is that your home console does not like the media that the movie is on - not uncommon, many home DVD players will not accept burned DVDs in one format or another. Windows Media Player will not play back DVD movies without the proper codec installed, so you are partially correct there - it recognizes the format but has no means of decoding the content on the disc.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Europe has a different video standard for VHS, and I noticed recently, for compact flash.(Pal vs NHTS, I think). Might there be a different standard for DVD, since they play on TV's?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The hardware is what determines NTSC or PAL...I'm guessing on this, of course, but I would think the disc in question would play anywhere. If you connected a European DVD player to television from the U.S., then you would have problems seeing anything. DVDs are region encoded if you buy them in a store, but the actual data files on a burned disc should not be affected by this - region encoding is a Hollywood thing that does not apply to home-made discs.
    -Mark