5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Property Value is too Large (A2K)

Here is a strange scenario. I've solved the problem, but it doesn't make sense and maybe someone out there may have run into this.

In creating a table and also being anal with respect to documentation, I always include detailed descriptions of the the individual fields in the Table Description Field. When the table I'm dealing with is resident within the database that it is being used in, there are not problems.
    However, as soon as I go to my backend database and import the same Table and try and open it, I get:
    Property Value is too large
    followed by
    Errors were encountered during the save operation

Now, if I go back to the original table and delete some of the descriptions in the table and then move it to the backend, it opens with no problems and no error messages.

So the question is, is there a limit to the amount of documentation that you can do within the table? It would appear so based on my manipulations, but if someone has a definitive answer, I'd be interested in hearing it.
    Thanks in advance for any comments.
    Cheers,
    Andy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Property Value is too Large (A2K)

Although there is nothing about it in the specifications, it seems that apart from the maximum of 255 fields in a table, and of 2,000 bytes in a record, there is also a limit on the combined length of the various properties of the fields (field name, validation text, description, lookup). By the way, the specifications do mention that the maximum length for the description of a single field is 255 characters.

If your table has a large number of fields, even if it is well within the maximum of 255, it might be a good idea to review its structure. If many field values are repeated often, the design might not be fully normalized.

Also see MSKB article ACC2000: Error Saving Table Error Message After Design Change.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Property Value is too Large (A2K)

Hans, thanks again for your input. As I guessed, my problem in this case was the addition of too much description. Who would have thunk that documentation could cause problems. With respect to normalization, this is definitely not a problem. It is one area that I watch very closely.
    Cheers,
    Andy