3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network Access (XP Pro)

I just re-installed (clean format and everything) XP Pro on a Dell 5100 laptop. The 5100 is connected to my home office network and can see and access all of the computers on the network just fine. When I go to the other computers and look at workgroup computers, I see the 5100. However, if I double click on it, I get a window with "D5100Guest" dimmed out and asking for a password. I have tried no password and the administrator password, but they do not work. The Guest account on the 5100 is not activated. If I activate it, when I double click on the 5100 from another computer, it says that the 5100 is not available. I assume that I do not have something set properly on the 5100 for other computers to access it but I am not sure what.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network Access (XP Pro)

On the 5100, don't you have user account(s) setup for the logon user names on the "other" computers? Pretty sure you need to do that, as well as have something on the 5100 setup for sharing.

Thanks

Further to Al's post, do you have "Simple File Sharing" enabled on the 5100 (Control Panel>Folder Options>View>Use simple file sharing)? Once that is done, then you must right click on each folder you wish to share, select "sharing & security" and then "Share this folder on the network".
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

On the 5100, I do have Simple File Sharing enabled.

Regarding the user accounts. I had read the same thing about needing to have the same user accounts set up on all computers. First, I know that it not true from my experience with the network where I work. Every computer on that network does not have every user set up on it and everyone can at least see the shared folder on each computer. I would expect to at least be able to double click on the 5100 and see the shared folder. I do have the same account name set up on the 5100 and my desktop. But I had no password on the account on the 5100. I added the same password as on my desktop account and now, when I try to access the 5100 from my desktop, it simply says "logon failure. The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

Thanks

<!mskb=308007>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 308007<!/mskb> may give you some clues.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>... from my experience with the network where I work... <hr>
    Most work environments, i.e. larger networks, use Domain networking rather than Workgroup. Is your work vs. home domain or workgroup?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good point. The office network is a domain and the home office is a workgroup.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Then the user privileges are assigned at the time the domain login is done. There are a great many things that can be controlled in a domain environment byeond folder/file permissions.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was able to solve the problem by running the Network Setup Wizard on the 5100 itself. Although it looked like it had file and print sharing configured, it was not complete. I noticed that the Shared Documents folder was not shared. The system prompted me to run the Wizard, I did, and that solved the problem.
    Thanks.
    Jim

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Great!!! Always good to see a problem resolved and the solution posted. That may save someone else in the future.

Joe
    Joe