Lounger
    Thanks

Word And PDF (2003)

Dear All, This is a 2 part request.
    First: I am working on project over a 3 year period. I need to produce monthly reports. The solution appears to be to create a folder and place regularly updated data files (in many formats) in them. Then create a Master Document and create links. This way if at anytime one opens the Master Doc, the links will reflect the latest data from the data files.
    Second: To prevent unauthorised file content manipulation, a solution could be to convert the entire folder contents and links to PDF for onward transmission. Albeit this strategy could be common knowledge to the experts, I am unsuccesful in finding a targetted solution despite lengthy web searches. Hence I am now trying to tap your expertise to shorten my learning curve and avoid any pitfalls. I will really appreciate some valuable tips and tricks and perhaps some links or a rough and ready template. Thank you very much.

Thanks

Re: Word And PDF (2003)

I haven't worked with Master Documents, so I'm not sure what they can do that would be any more helpful than providing a shortcut to the most recent folder. Do you need a single document that references all of the previous materials in one?

With respect to PDF files, there are numerous products, ranging from free to expensive to convert documents to PDF format. The most inexpensive add a "printer" to your list of printers, you print the document, and the print-to-PDF driver converts the applicant's print output to PDF. The less expensive programs seldom have additional capabilities you might want, such as bookmarks, password protection, live hyperlinks, or the ability to insert and reorganize PDF files. So... the most appropriate tool really depends on your needs. Maybe you can describe your wish list in a bit more detail.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word And PDF (2003)

While I'm not sure about Word 2003, Master Documents have been a major source of problems in earlier versions. I think you would be better off creating a document that contained either hyperlinks to your documents, Includetext fields, RD fields, or some combination of the above. See WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.